The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Done Deal (Hopefully)!!

Havard

I have arranged to buy a 96 Facelift NA this Sunday for 5k.

I have been sent quite a few close up pictures and the exterior of the car looks mint. The only worries I have is that the car has 78K on the clock and in light of recent events I would not expect that to be genuine. The guy has had it for 2 years in which he has put 18 - 20k on it.

Question is - Would you be concerned the seats and the gear knob have been replaced?? These are usually a good indicator of wear and tear and now they are gone. I am going a loooooong way for this car so I have tried to get as much info on it's condition. The guy is 52 and reckons its in great nick.

Also who is the best for Hpi checks. I've done one on the free vehicle check site but it doesn't give you anything official!!

Cheers

H.

Oh forgot, this car has a 5 speed box. Thought all facelifts were 6 speed??

I have arranged to buy a 96 Facelift NA this Sunday for 5k.

I have been sent quite a few close up pictures and the exterior of the car looks mint. The only worries I have is that the car has 78K on the clock and in light of recent events I would not expect that to be genuine. The guy has had it for 2 years in which he has put 18 - 20k on it.

Question is - Would you be concerned the seats and the gear knob have been replaced?? These are usually a good indicator of wear and tear and now they are gone. I am going a loooooong way for this car so I have tried to get as much info on it's condition. The guy is 52 and reckons its in great nick.

Also who is the best for Hpi checks. I've done one on the free vehicle check site but it doesn't give you anything official!!

Cheers

H.

Oh forgot, this car has a 5 speed box. Thought all facelifts were 6 speed??

Ah mate you should of talked to me, i have a 5 speed, N/A in the fast colour, full veilside with optional stock rear spoiler, coilovers, undefloor neons, induction, 84k, advan racing wheels, real head turner yours for same as iwant to go TT

If it falls through let me know

rick

(have pics to send if you need)

Hi Harvard,

Good job pal. Firstly, I thought N/As were 5 Speed regardless or pre/facelift, but can't be arsed to look at the guide buddy! Someone else will confirm.

Always good to do a HPI check and maybe even an RAC check if you're a little concerned about its age. I'd also head to http://www.hpicheck.com for the checkover.

What have the seats been replaced with? Aftermarket buckets, leathers? Plenty of people have replaced their seats mate. I'm going to do mine at some point and I'm not trying to 'hide' any wear and tear or the mileage of my car. :)

Greg

Sorry Rick, I've been looking for ages for a car with the right look.

Is you car on Auto trader as I have just seen one similar to your description. I'll post up some pictures when I have got it but I'm just having a few last minute worries.!!

The last time I bought a car I was 1o years ago!!!

H.

Hi Harvard,

Good job pal. Firstly, I thought N/As were 5 Speed regardless or pre/facelift, but can't be arsed to look at the guide buddy! Someone else will confirm.

Always good to do a HPI check and maybe even an RAC check if you're a little concerned about its age. I'd also head to http://www.hpicheck.com for the checkover.

What have the seats been replaced with? Aftermarket buckets, leathers? Plenty of people have replaced their seats mate. I'm going to do mine at some point and I'm not trying to 'hide' any wear and tear or the mileage of my car. :)

Greg

He's replaced them with standard cloth seats. The interior is stock looking really and I'll jazz it up a bit myself but I like the exterior look of the car, ie white, skirts & spats. 18" Lenso's it think. Cheers Greg!!

Some facelifts are 6 spd, but that is more of a luck thing than anything else I reckon...

Pay the £10 for a full HPI (I think it is a tenner), and make sure.. I wouldn't worry about 78k miles, it is not a terrible amount.

I am worried that 78k could be a bit low. I think these threads about milage have made me paranoid. It could be genuine but I'm more of a realist. If I get there and the engine sounds good with no smoke then I'll take the gamble. There is some SH but nothing from the Japan side which is where is has been for the majority of it's life.

H.

Hope it works out H

Do an HPI :)

PM me if you need a hand :)

Thanks Rob, I'll PM you in a bit

Sounds good.......keep us posted.

Mileage wise, im not certain it matters, as long as the car has been well looked after and serviced regularly.

I think 96 NAs have 5 speed boxes. Thereafter are 6 speeds. [i think]

Thanks Sabrina, there seems to be a bit of confusions about the specs of the new facelifts but a 5 speed will do for me.

H.

Thanks Sabrina, there seems to be a bit of confusions about the specs of the new facelifts but a 5 speed will do for me.

H.

ooo don't quote me on that.........:D........[too late :p ]

I actually thought it was a miss print on the advert for mine.......I too thought all NA's had 5 speeds.........I actually sat in the car at the dealership and counted them to verify. :D

Go over to him, check the papers by yourself and if everything is alright and you like the car than you should go for it.

Thanks Lebsteif!! Like i said I'll psot up some pics once I get it. Unless there is something major that worries me I'll have it. I've got a 4 hour drive to get to it so I have tried to find out as much as possible.!!

H.

You can really really nice TT's for that much, I think you are paying too much.

Go on Chris thrill me. I have been looking since September and no found a good TT for 5K. Maybe you are better connected than I am but I doubt I'll find a TT for that money.

Also I think an NA is enough for me. I don't drive like a maniac, don't do track days so I can't see why I would want a TT.

If you know somewhere I can get a better deal then great but I have looked at a lot of "cheaper" ones and they have been dogs. This one looks great from the close ups. I also told the guy I would be less that pleased to drive for 4 hours to look at a pile of shit. I appreciate your advice Chris as I may be coming to you for some work on it if needed.

H.

Check chassis number first to make sure its as it was out of factory. I thought all facelift Na's where 6-speed:-

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm

See there down the page.

Edit: i was wrong the facelift SZ NA was 5-speed, all the facelift sz-r's where 6-speed!

This is supposed to be a SZ-R with a 5 speed box. 96 facelift.

What else would give it away??

I am now getting a bit concerned. Is it possible that some of the 95 five speeds were put into the early 96 SZ-R's

H.

Thanks Lebsteif!! Like i said I'll psot up some pics once I get it. Unless there is something major that worries me I'll have it. I've got a 4 hour drive to get to it so I have tried to find out as much as possible.!!

H.

Not get anyone local to have a look at it?

Sorry Rick, I've been looking for ages for a car with the right look.

Is you car on Auto trader as I have just seen one similar to your description. I'll post up some pictures when I have got it but I'm just having a few last minute worries.!!

The last time I bought a car I was 1o years ago!!!

H.

Ha ha i know the feeling. No mine is not on any site at the mo just turning it over in my mind when i read your thread.

Good hunting mate, hope its A1 for ya

rick

This is supposed to be a SZ-R with a 5 speed box. 96 facelift.

What else would give it away??

I am now getting a bit concerned. Is it possible that some of the 95 five speeds were put into the early 96 SZ-R's

H.

a genuine SZ-R (either pre facelift or facelift) will have a LSD and therefore a 'B' instead of an 'A' at the relevant part of the chassis plate. Should be something like A02B instead of A02A.

In fact a SZR has a different model code to a SZ as well.

I'm tempted to say that it being a Facelift car without a 6 speed box excludes it from being an SZ-R but i can't be 100%.....

is this car way down south?

a genuine SZ-R (either pre facelift or facelift) will have a LSD and therefore a 'B' instead of an 'A' at the relevant part of the chassis plate. Should be something like A02B instead of A02A.

In fact a SZR has a different model code to a SZ as well.

I'm tempted to say that it being a Facelift car without a 6 speed box excludes it from being an SZ-R but i can't be 100%.....

is this car way down south?

It has LSD, folding mirrors and twin airbags. After a few PM's with Rob Sheffield I am satisfied that it's an SZ-R but the thing about the gearbox is still up in the air. It sounds like it is one of the first facelifts and I wouldn't be surprised if they were still fitting 5 speeds then. Is there anyone with a 96, 6 speed SZ-R?? Sabrina's is 6sp but thats a 97!!

H.