The mkiv Supra Owners Club

About 5.5k to spend, what can i get?

Guest Porker

Hi all, not been around for a long time! But back again to question you some more!

Still wanting a supra. Currently driving a Civic VTI but wanting to trade up to a supra, with a bit more go :D

Will have about 5.5k to spend, and ideally, want a TT model. Whats my chances?

Guess its gonna be a JDM spec model (Would prefer a UK model, because of the insurance and the obvious differences!) But think my budget will be a constraint on that! :(

Not really sure if i want a silver one (They're all siver aren't they? ;) Bit like JDM Integras, they're all white!!)

So yeah, what do you all reckon? Looked through the for sale section, few things caught my eye.

Oh, and it has to be a manual. I don't get on with Auto boxes well

No way on the TT then if you want a manual, figure an extra 2k at least for a half decent one!! You may get lucky with a auto if you know where to look.

The auto is awesome, dont be put off by it. Just remember youll never change as fast as you think you can in a manual, and the auto is exceptional for an auto.

Hmmm, i've seen a few TT's in the classified section for around that price, but all seem to be auto's.

Never driven an auto one, so technically i'm flying blind.

and personally, if i'm trading up, it has to be a TT. Either that or i'd put an ITR engine in the civic and easily run rings around N/A supras ;)

Tis true.

My friend is upgrading to a Pulsar, so i'm wanting something thats at least gonna give him a run for his money!

Especially as we'll be hitting the track together! I know the 4wd pulsar is gonna have a slight advantage on the twisty bits, but i'm hoping a TT will have enough guts to make up for that on the straights!

Tis true.

My friend is upgrading to a Pulsar, so i'm wanting something thats at least gonna give him a run for his money!

Especially as we'll be hitting the track together! I know the 4wd pulsar is gonna have a slight advantage on the twisty bits, but i'm hoping a TT will have enough guts to make up for that on the straights!

To be honest mate, if your serious about getting a supra, why dont you just hold fire for a bit and get one when you have a bit more cash. It just that for about £1500 more, you could ensure you get the pick of the finer stock TT's around and youll avoid getting a total dog.

And if your mates getting a pulsar, he will destroy you in most situations as they are very nippy off the line. Unfortunately for him he will spend all his money repairing it when it goes wrong! On a track, stock v stock, you would take him on the straights. I would say its all down to driving through the bends.

The nicest, cleanest and un *uggered about with MKIV I saw all last year, excluding 98 and later cars was a 94 TT auto that was bought privately, by a private buyer, for 5K dead. To say you can't buy very clean and tidy TT's for 5k and under is incorrect. At auction they are going for 4k and under, so a manual TT for 5.5 k is the right sort of money for an earlier model. I turn down sub 5k TT's all the time, as I don't buy and sell cars any more, too much hassle. The local auction had a MINT 95 MR2 turbo in the other week and it sold for under 1500 quid. If you asked on an MR2 forum what they are worth you'd get a very different opinion :) It's the nature of owners forums to look at car values with rose tinted glasses, I'm afraid, as the members tend to have vested interests ;) I have sold a few MKIV's and several Skylines, my (realistic) estimates of their values proved pretty spot on, despite every man and his dog on their associated forums saying they were too cheap, yet not forming an orderly queue at my door to buy them at their sub forum estimate prices!

You have to work to buy them at the right money, cash in hand, an ability to bid so low as to be where no one else dares to tread, an ability to travel far at short notice, an ability to ask the RIGHT questions, and to not have ridiculous short lists, like only lime green with blue velour interior, and an Ab-Ug-Spoon-Fed bumper with grass side skirts. Others may (will???) disagee with me, but that's nothing new :)

The nicest, cleanest and un *uggered about with MKIV I saw all last year, excluding 98 and later cars was a 94 TT auto that was bought privately, by a private buyer, for 5K dead. To say you can't buy very clean and tidy TT's for 5k and under is incorrect. At auction they are going for 4k and under, so a manual TT for 5.5 k is the right sort of money for an earlier model. I turn down sub 5k TT's all the time, as I don't buy and sell cars any more, too much hassle. The local auction had a MINT 95 MR2 turbo in the other week and it sold for under 1500 quid. If you asked on an MR2 forum what they are worth you'd get a very different opinion :) It's the nature of owners forums to look at car values with rose tinted glasses, I'm afraid, as the members tend to have vested interests ;) I have sold a few MKIV's and several Skylines, my (realistic) estimates of their values proved pretty spot on, despite every man and his dog on their associated forums saying they were too cheap, yet not forming an orderly queue at my door to buy them at their sub forum estimate prices!

You have to work to buy them at the right money, cash in hand, an ability to bid so low as to be where no one else dares to tread, an ability to travel far at short notice, an ability to ask the RIGHT questions, and to not have ridiculous short lists, like only lime green with blue velour interior, and an Ab-Ug-Spoon-Fed bumper with grass side skirts. Others may (will???) disagee with me, but that's nothing new :)

:yeahthat: spot on chris!

I agree with you Chris and on my thread you have said the same. I have cash, ability to go anywhere at short notice but I see a lot of cars that don't do anything for me at all.

I think I am being picky on a slightly limited budget. But I would be gutted to shell out on a car and it not put a smile on my face everytime I look at it. Being the impatient type I also dont want to save up to get it looking the way I want to.

Cake and eat it territory...:)

H.