The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto vs manual

hogmaw

I would have to agree with Jake, I guess more gears means more likely to have the car doing a better RPM/speed. You the driver can probably judge more efficiently, using 5/6 gears which ones will pooter you around town better than the 3+OD on an Auto can ever give you/determine for itself.

When a clutch bites the engine and initial drive in the gear box rotate at the same speed. In an auto box torque converter slips unless it is a lockup, so not so fuel efficient. If MPG is your main concern, I hear the are some good 900cc cars about.

Auto's are crap any way.

Easy does it... MPG isn't a big concern, despite me getting only 270 miles from a tank of V-Power, just a quick q' that's all. Anyway unless you're some kind of superhero, auto boxes shift faster than manual, we KNOW that :D

Easy does it... MPG isn't a big concern, despite me getting only 270 miles from a tank of V-Power, just a quick q' that's all. Anyway unless you're some kind of superhero, auto boxes shift faster than manual, we KNOW that :D

Check my garage, I am yanking your chain. 270miles to a tank, how? I have never seen that in my car.

Guest suprajosh

there are more gear, plus an auto tramission adds extra weight to the car and makes it heavier giving it worst gas milage and that makes it slower as well and thats amusing an auto turbo supra hit all 6,800 rmp even not that will make it even slower

Blimey! I've done close on 300 miles to a tank before. In an auto.

The reason that manuals have better MPG is because you spend so much time changing gears with that clunky old tractor box that you are actually off boost for most of any given drive and the turbos spool down.

See?

there are more gear, plus an auto tramission adds extra weight to the car and makes it heavier giving it worst gas milage and that makes it slower as well and thats amusing an auto turbo supra hit all 6,800 rmp even not that will make it even slower

Are you pissed mate? That's the worst use of the English language I've heard for some time.:rolleyes:

Plus the auto doesn't hit 6,800rpm if you have it in Manu model dickwad.

Are you pissed mate? That's the worst use of the English language I've heard for some time.:rolleyes:

Plus the auto doesn't hit 6,800rpm if you have it in Manu model dickwad.

Well he is an American, so punctuation is never going to be a strong point. :D

On normal driving, a manual will acheive better mpg than an auto, however, when driving back from Le Mans a couple of years ago, a friend of mine was following in his 6 speed. We did about 120 miles of spirited driving and he ended up using about 1/4 of a tank more than me, because he had to always be in the right gear, otherwise I would always get the drop on him. :D :p

Autos are great for town driving/heavy traffic, but crap fuel mileage. Not so good for in gear spirited driving (unpredictable gear changes etc), unless you use Manu mode each time. Cruising on motorways though, really good fuel efficiency I've found.

I may start saving for a Manual conversion. Good idea I wonder?!

Autos are great for town driving/heavy traffic, but crap fuel mileage. Not so good for in gear spirited driving (unpredictable gear changes etc), unless you use Manu mode each time. Cruising on motorways though, really good fuel efficiency I've found.

I may start saving for a Manual conversion. Good idea I wonder?!

I have just had the car mapped by Dan and it started to slip my auto box at 400BHP so I have been looking at Boostlogic and TH400 box but I am going to a manual conversion at Turbofit now as the auto options seem limited for big power (500+)