The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Obd1..obd2 Ecu?

wkdtime

Guys...

OBD is a standard which the ECU outputs the diagnostic, it has NO effect on tuning, as it is merely a I/O specification, not the model of ECU...

OBD2 has a lot to do with modding (on Honda's anyway). With stricter emissions, the OBD2 chip uses the TWO O2 sensors to closely fine tune closed loop emissions to stoch ratios. On the Honda's this resulted in the ECU DE-TUNING any changes to the AFR using a piggyback ECU for example - also basic mods like I/H/E were rendered more or less useless.

In Open WOT it had no difference to an OBD1

Not exactly sure how it works on the Supra....

OBD2 has a lot to do with modding (on Honda's anyway). With stricter emissions, the OBD2 chip uses the TWO O2 sensors to closely fine tune closed loop emissions to stoch ratios. On the Honda's this resulted in the ECU DE-TUNING any changes to the AFR using a piggyback ECU for example - also basic mods like I/H/E were rendered more or less useless.

In Open WOT it had no difference to an OBD1

Not exactly sure how it works on the Supra....

Imi...

OBD has nothing to do with the ECU... it is a standard as I said...The ECU manufacturer will ensure that their particular design has an OBDI or OBDII output. This is especially relevant in California.

Take a step back.

is the OBD2 interface MORE complicated (more inputs / more outputs) than an OBD1?

If so, then an ECU using an OBD2 INTERFACE will be using MORE inputs and more outputs; hence you will find OBD2 based ECUs in newer cars rather than older cars (for all the reasons that I mentioned earlier).

Take a step back.

is the OBD2 interface MORE complicated (more inputs / more outputs) than an OBD1?

If so, then an ECU using an OBD2 INTERFACE will be using MORE inputs and more outputs; hence you will find OBD2 based ECUs in newer cars rather than older cars (for all the reasons that I mentioned earlier).

Yes OBDII does expose more features of the ECU, however, OBDII is not what it used to connect up to the engine. It is purely a diagnosis interface specification.

By default anything with OBDII will be a new design ECU, since they have to adopt the new standards.

And as far OBDII, it pretty much has two wires, a K line and an L Line

Take a step back.

OBD1 & OBD2... I think what is being said, is you are possibly clouding the purer side of the question - OBD is fook all to do with the model of ECU, you could in theory have an ultra modern ECU with OBD1... or an RS232(432)/whatevah! interface that conforms to some other standard. But as you say, things move with the times. I am guessing the Honda tunin boyz say - OBD1 = easy tune, OBD2 means you have the twatting hard ECU to tune? ;)

Yes OBDII does expose more features of the ECU, however, OBDII is not what it used to connect up to the engine. It is purely a diagnosis interface specification.

By default anything with OBDII will be a new design ECU, since they have to adopt the new standards.

And as far OBDII, it pretty much has two wires, a K line and an L Line

OK, I get you now...I was referring to the newer OBD2 (on-board diag) having a direct correlation on the design of the ECU (16bit, etc) and hence harder to tune for all the reasons mentioned earlier.

maybe its not so bad on the supras...although I have heard that the non-VVTi's are easier to tune than the VVTi....

OK, I get you now...I was referring to the newer OBD2 (on-board diag) having a direct correlation on the design of the ECU (16bit, etc) and hence harder to tune for all the reasons mentioned earlier.

maybe its not so bad on the supras...although I have heard that the non-VVTi's are easier to tune than the VVTi....

Strictly speaking there is no difference with the tuning on either, it is just more common to do the non-vvti's. Things such as the plug and play AEM aren't available for it, however there are plenty of options with available.

Gav