The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Am i Cursed??????

Dr_Doom

For f***’s sake! First I nearly die swerving to miss a tree (final destination style)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=96484

Then the teeth snap off my rear diff!

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=96691

So I had a new (2nd hand) diff fitted yesterday afternoon.

Tonight on my way home, about 1 mile from my house the car starts making a chattering noise coming from the back :( . Thought I’d better get home and check it, but less than 100 yards from my house, BOOM!.. The back wheels lock up and the car slides to a halt! Lucky it was on a straight or it could of been nasty!.. I put the car in gear & tried to drive off but nothing. Didn't stall, but wouldn't move anywhere.. Got out to have a look and there was diff oil all over the road!..B*llox! It’s only been on 24hrs! A guy stopped in his car to help give me a push but the rear wheels were totally locked up & it was in the middle of the road! A guy came out from down the road to help and after 15mins of rocking it we managed to get 2 wheels up onto the kerb.

I'm in the RAC but i think you're supposed to be at least 1 mile from home before they will help. I phoned them anyway and luckily they came out. Took 90mins to turn up, in a transit van god damn it!... The guy took a look and confirmed what i'd already told them hours ago over the phone & then sent for a low loader! He recons the Diff pinion bearing had collapsed & this locked up the wheels. After another 90 mins sat in his transit van the low loader turned up and dragged it on backwards (wasn't easy i can tell you).. I've now had the car dropped off at my local garage to await repairs!

Now I really need some help here... what are my options?

• Has anyone got a Diff that will fit an 1996 NA 5spd Manual? Open or LSD (I’ll post in the wanted section too)

• Do i buy a new one? If so where from? How much? and how long would it take to turn up?

• The diff was an open one so would an LSD diff from a manual TT fit or are they only designed for 6spd? If so, what LSD diff is fitted to facelift NA supras?

• If i fit an LSD diff (which would make the best of a bad situation) are there any extra parts i need?

Any help will be much appreciated as my Supra is my only car and i'm now stuck getting to work etc.. Whichever way gets it fixed the quickest will probably be best!

Oh.. and did I mention that it was absolutely freezing tonight and I’ve only just got home and it’s now 1am !!! :(

I bought the diff from a member on here and went to pick it up. I'm convinced that he genuinely believed it was a good one so I'm probably just unlucky. I've posted in the wanted section so i'm hoping something turns up :rolleyes:

To be fair though mate , dont know how much you paid ,but it was either duff or somehow fitted incorrectly, if thats possible.

there must be a comeback on the garage on this one.... for something such as a diff to get destroyed in such a short time after fitting sounds very much like a dogey fit job (assuming the diff was in good nick to start off with).

Just out of interest are you running the same rolling radius tyres on the rear?

I did hear of a Sierra RS500 guy who had a 50 profile tyre on one side and a 45 profile tyre on the other who blew up two diffs before he realised what was going on.

(I think he had a tyre blow out and took his car in for a quick tyre replacement... they fitted the wrong profile tyre)