The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1.4Bar Peak Boost with 1.2Bar RR in! Any one else notice this in the cold weather?

Guest Bainesy36

Guest Bainesy36

Hi there everyone, advice needed please! :)

Only had the car a few days and only used the 2nd turbo on a handful of occasions, but noticed tonight that the Boost gauge was showing a peak of 1.4Bar when I'm running BPU with a 1.2Bar RR on 'J' Spec Turbo's.:innocent: 2nd Turbo only used in 3rd and 4th gear aswell. Is this just a spike not to worry about, or should I leave No.2 alone until the weather warms up? Is the RR too big now after the engine has had replacement Turbo's (20k old) and the valve stem seals renewed and should I invest in a Boost Controller?

Unfortunately I have been unable to look at the boost gauge during warp speed as my eyes are fixed on the road ahead!! :p

Obviously new to this and any help/advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks, :D

Nige.

Mine peaks when under heavier loads, 3rd gear up. I've got a 1.2 RR but it makes naf all difference at higher speeds / gears. its ok tho for me cos I’m running hybrid turbos but yeah 1.4 bar is seen by me religiously. Smaller RR if your worried.

I’m under the assumption that Boost Controllers cant limit boost, just raise it......

Get a proper FCD for a start. The thor one will cut boost at 1.25bar which is why so many here recommend it. The japs don;t seem to care about boost cut and almost all cars that come over with them have no limit (e,g, HKS)

These threads come up every year at this time, as soon as temps drop people complain of boost cut or overboost. Its just a weather thing.

As I mentioned in a thread eariler this evening, in an ideal (ish!) world you'd get a restrictor that allows 1.2 bar in current weather and the boost controller to raise this beyond the restricted level when temps raise.

Guest Bainesy36

Thanks for the input guys. If I was to fit a smaller RR for now, would it be easy enough to swap it back during the summer, or should I stick with the one I have and get the Thor FCD as recommended by Homer. Don't want to do any damage during this cold snap so will hold back on the right foot for now.

Also, should I be running the HKS SSQV BOV over the standard one (as I believe the standard one is in at the moment) and what difference will this make?

Cheers,

Nige.

Also, should I be running the HKS SSQV BOV over the standard one (as I believe the standard one is in at the moment) and what difference will this make?

It makes a psssch noise. That's about it really. Don't believe the hype about any supposed "performance gains".

I only bought one as it was cheap second hand on here.

The stock car has one on anyway - and it's silent!

I've had a few and took most off, although the hks one I have now is tucked away and very quiet.

If you can't be bothered to fit a smaller RR then just stay off the right foot until the conditions improve. Not much fun at this time of year at wot anyway...

The stock one vents back into the manifold i believe, where as the after market ones vent to the atmosphere which is why you get the louder psssh. performance wise, it probably makes sense to vent back into the system rather than waste the gas but you got to love that psst.

Dont think it realy makes that much differance either way tbh

Yep Nige, go easy on the right foot buddy!!! :)

I haven't been above 1.2 bar yet, and don't intend to and I'm on Hybrids. Too bloody scary!

As above, the SSQV doesn't really add anything else, but small singles and above see them as a necessity at times as they can apparently handle slightly higher boost levels iirc. Not much difference really.

I'd deffo recommend a Boost Controller matey. ;)

Guest Bainesy36

Cheers.

I still get the psssh (if that's how you spell it) and I'm not bothered about performance, it was just curiosity. Lighter right foot for now then, but will look into getting a 1.0Bar RR and boost controller for the summer or just swap between the two RR's.

Nige.