The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre Advice

Animal

My new wheels turned up today! (Thanks Envy)

Now I have the problem of trying to find a set of tyres for the buggers!

I'm going from stock 16" wheels (225/50/16 front & 245/50/16 rear IIRC) to 17x8.5" front & 17x10" rear and I'm struggling to find a matched set of tyres to fit.

I think Envy recommended 235/40/17 & 275/40/17 tyres, does this sound about right?

I've looked on BlackCircles.com and they don't list anything that big.

I was hoping to stay with Goodyear GSD3's or possibly Toyo T1-S's

Go for the narrowest section tyre the tyre makers advise for the rim widths, front and rear. This stabilises the tread area and gives better handling than the widest recommended width tyre for a given wheel rim width. This may sound odd, but it's true.

Cheers Chris, any idea where to get this information from? I've rang a few tyre places, but they're all staffed by monkeys who don't know what they're doing unless you give them specific tyre sizes to start with.

I guess it depends on the specific wheen - but afaik 275 on 10" rim is a little stretched, but nescessary to fit in the wheel arch.

you need to get the arches rolled to fit 285 on 10" which I think is ideal.

I'm about to try 285 on 10", although the car came with 295, which was a tiny bit oversized...

I have looked for the ideal recommended size for 10" and have not been able to come up with a definative answer.

Right, I rang the Goodyear technical department this morning and the recommended tyre sizes are:

Front - 245/40/17

Rear - 275/40/17 or 165/40/17 at a push.

This will keep the same rolling radius on the wheels as the stock 16's.

Only thing is, Goodyear don't do tyres big enough to fit on the rear.

I'm possibly looking at Toyo T1-R's, anybody used these? What are they like compared to the GSD3's?