PDA

View Full Version : hi and help

dave bryant
22-01-07, 21:03
Hi ive just got my first supra mkiv, im having a few teething probs can anyone help my car is an auto i have fitted a speedo convertor that works fine the thing is supposed to delimit as well but the car redlines at 120mph ithought they should go faster than that? :( any ideas????

dave bryant
22-01-07, 21:04
also is there anyone from the south of hampshire that is on this site:)

Ian W
22-01-07, 21:05
you sure that your particular convertor is also a delimiter? (i.e. is it actually hitting the redline?)

where did you get it from?

mikeyb10supra
22-01-07, 21:07
Hi ive just got my first supra mkiv, im having a few teething probs can anyone help my car is an auto i have fitted a speedo convertor that works fine the thing is supposed to delimit as well but the car redlines at 120mph ithought they should go faster than that? :( any ideas????

Hmm weird....sounds like your box is slipping by the sounds of it...how many miles are on the box? is it ok from low revs, midrange etc?

I know this sounds really stupid and im not being patronising in any way but is your overdrive engaged??

juanchan
22-01-07, 21:10
Welcome to the forum. Can't help you with the convertor/delimiter issue but I do know that there's a fair few of us in Hampshire :)

dave bryant
22-01-07, 21:20
i bought the convertor from ebay i have used them before with no problems, the car is redlining its like there are only 3 gears if that makes sense apart from that no problems whats the buttons around the box for ie manu and od could these be stopping the top speed or does anyone think the delimitor is not there??
like i say the car redlines at 120ish mph but it gets there fu*king fast:D :D :D

dave bryant
22-01-07, 21:21
hi where in hampshire?

Ian W
22-01-07, 21:23
sounds like you have it in manu mode or have the o/d switched off as has been said.

bowk1uk
22-01-07, 21:26
your overdrive is on
its the button on the right side of your gear stick
there should be a yellow light on your dash when its engaged
turn this off you will have 4 gears

dave bryant
22-01-07, 21:26
there are no lights on the dash to say they are off i have pressed them all and it makes no difference:search: is there an easy test may be a sensor is broke

Ian W
22-01-07, 21:28
your overdrive is on
its the button on the right side of your gear stick
there should be a yellow light on your dash when its engaged
turn this off you will have 4 gears

actually the yellow light is on when overdrive is OFF (disengaged).

the overdrive should usually be on as this IS the 4th gear ;)

dave bryant
22-01-07, 21:28
my overdrive button is on the dash light is off maybe the overdrive is broke??

mikeyb10supra
22-01-07, 21:30
there are no lights on the dash to say they are off i have pressed them all and it makes no difference:search: is there an easy test may be a sensor is broke

Its on the right hand side of your auto lever under the big button? the little one underneath needs to be clicked in, this will give you the 4th gear

Failing that then if its red lining at 120 there may be problems with the transmission

dave bryant
do you think this could be electrical when driving you turn the od on and off the revs do move about depending on what is selected so the button does something

bowk1uk
actually the yellow light is on when overdrive is OFF (disengaged).

the overdrive should usually be on as this IS the 4th gear ;)

oops wrong way round

dave bryant
22-01-07, 21:31
does 3rd gear redline at 120ish??? is there an easy fix??

mikeyb10supra
22-01-07, 21:33
do you think this could be electrical when driving you turn the od on and off the revs do move about depending on what is selected so the button does something

Leave it clicked in and try again ;)

dave bryant
22-01-07, 21:34
also i want a fat number plate not my square one at the rear where can i get one:rolleyes: :search:

bowk1uk
22-01-07, 21:34
i would say around 110
maybe you have a faulty overdrive, button not sure mate

dave bryant
22-01-07, 21:35
done that today with the wife following in the subaru :D

mr lover
22-01-07, 21:36
3rd gear would go faster than 120 without redlining

dave bryant
22-01-07, 21:37
i would say around 110
maybe you have a faulty overdrive, button not sure mate

but when i press the button the revs increase slightly and drop when its engaged:search:

dave bryant
22-01-07, 21:38

maybe the speedo is slightly out and the delimitor is not working

bowk1uk
22-01-07, 21:41
can you hear it change gear when you press the buton if you can hear it change gear its working fine , and your dash light is out

dave bryant
22-01-07, 21:43
not sure thinking about it i should count the gears

bowk1uk
22-01-07, 21:45

not sure if were talking about na or tt ?
i was talking about na

dave bryant
22-01-07, 21:46
no tt you should get one if you dont have one:D

dave bryant
22-01-07, 21:56
:blink: thanks for all your help will let you know how i get on

bowk1uk
22-01-07, 22:02
no tt you should get one if you dont have one:D

mines na-t

matt j
22-01-07, 23:00
Hope this makes some sense

when i bought my big girl the O/D OFF light didnt work, caused me some similar confusion. the easiest way to work it out would be to drive along at 60 or 70 MPh (speed limit permitting) lift your foot off the throttle, if the revs only drop by say 500rpm it would indicate overdrive is off, click the button on the side of the gear selector and try again, with o/d on it should drop substantailly as it will put the car into 4th gear. It is a simple matter of replacing the bulb behind the speedo o/d indicator if this is the case.

Had to do it with mine. Although my D light was out on the speedo cluster aswell, ( unrelated i think)

dave bryant
23-01-07, 09:41
all the lights work fine i will count the gears see what i have

Terminator
23-01-07, 10:14
It sound like 1 your speedometer is out. t2 The goods that you purchased from Ebay are cheap rubbish. 3 The 120 you are seeing is actually 112 which is the stock limit.

No one of the experienced owners would recommend Ebay for a delimiter. Thor one of the traders on here make very good electrical products that have been successful install on a large number of MKIVs.

Chewie
23-01-07, 12:07
Forget what's on the speedo! Just keep the pedal down until everything looks like it's going in reverse. 120 should be fast enough for commuting.:)

dave bryant
23-01-07, 16:10
right heres the update, the car does just under 120 if your foot is down or in overdrive it does not redline in 3rd it at 6000rpm, i shall be changing the chip get one from thor:rolleyes: as for tyhe ebayer i have bought chips from him in the past with no agro but not for a supra thanks again for all your help does anyone know where to get a fat number plate instead of a square one??

tbourner
23-01-07, 16:20
You can get a plastic surround for the rear numberplate and spray it - if you just have holes at the moment it looks a bit better.
I'm in Havant BTW, but no Supe :( .

dave bryant
23-01-07, 16:23
im in portchester where do i get one?? the square looks crap how do i know if mine is a vvti

tbourner
23-01-07, 16:27
Not sure I never got round to getting one when I had mine! :p
Check the traders forums and their respective sites or search for number plate surround.
VVTis were post 1997 IIRC. Otherwise see if you have a big bulge on the front of your cam cover!! :D

tbourner
23-01-07, 16:28
Just found this:
http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=89249

eBay?
Sorry not much help.

dave bryant
23-01-07, 16:29
cheers just reading about vvti looks like mine is a non as the redline is 6800:search: what you driving?

tbourner
23-01-07, 16:31
Yaris (don't laugh).
I do now own a mortgage now though which is better IMO.

I'll be back one day, not sure whether to get a Supra or Aristo at the mo though.

Ian R
23-01-07, 16:34
What ever you do don't press the red button :d Only joking :d

dave bryant
23-01-07, 16:39
i have had everything you can imagine form r5gtt, skylines and now i own a subaru which is the wifes the kids love it and a supra tt which my boy loves "The Drift Car" i have set up a company which is to do with recycling jap cars or breaking in laymans terms we also do tuning parts etc, you laugh about the yaris we have a couple of track cars we have had for years dont laugh:sly: novas:sly: they are 2ltrs very fast and kick most people around the track visit my website www.monster-mods.co.uk

dave bryant
23-01-07, 16:40
What ever you do don't press the red button :d Only joking :d

when i first got it i pressed and pressed it nothing happened just found out what it does handy for changing the stereo:p