The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Vs EVO MR FQ400

Suprash

What would be quicker...............?

Was a bit surprised by this Evo, didnt realise they squeezed as much bhp and tourque out of a 2ltr as we get in the Supra....... :(

So obviously the Evo is listed as 3.9 0-60, but what about above that, in the Supras best range say 80-150, and could the Evo really pull 175 top end out of a 2ltr, I thought 2ltr's just didnt have the guts to pull that sort of top end, Im very disappointed if this is true........

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What would be quicker...............?

Was a bit surprised by this Evo, didnt realise they squeezed as much bhp and tourque out of a 2ltr as we get in the Supra....... :(

So obviously the Evo is listed as 3.9 0-60, but what about above that, in the Supras best range say 80-150, and could the Evo really pull 175 top end out of a 2ltr, I thought 2ltr's just didnt have the guts to pull that sort of top end, Im very disappointed if this is true........

Against a standard supra, I would say the evo... but thats not exactly a fair comparison. Also that car is designed more for track style racing. So not exactly the most comfortable thing to drive.

EDIT - Its bloody quick. Saw it on TopGear racing a Lambo Murchi around a track and the lambo ended up pushing to hard. But you could literally see the evo gain meters as they approached and went through the corners/bends.

Against a standard supra, I would say the evo... but thats not exactly a fair comparison. Also that car is designed more for track style racing. So not exactly the most comfortable thing to drive.

EDIT - Its bloody quick. Saw it on TopGear racing a Lambo Murchi around a track and the lambo ended up pushing to hard. But you could literally see the evo gain meters as they approached and went through the corners/bends.

My mate went to test drive one, and he was pit off with the clutch it was the same as TG you did stall all the time.

Same as Top Gear review.

My understanding is that Owens development put these cars together. But they were put together to hit 400bhp AND run for 100k, they were sold as Mitsubishi cars and so had to carry a full warranty.

So in order to make sure they lasted the course, I believe they used a turbo larger than necessary. Obviously worked less hard than a smaller turbo would have, andtherefore less stressed. Downside is they are laggy.

Here to be corrected :)

400bhp from 2 litres. A marvel of engineering

Hardly ;) I wonder what 1000 out of a 3.0 or 1400 out of a 2.6 is called then :D Big turbo means just its crapto drive off boost.

But I think you'd be hard pressed to beat it around a road course as its so light and with a good amount of power to make it very fast. For motorway racing would be different story, I believe a BPU Supra should kill it at mid-top end speeds.

I was told the FQ 300 is the one to buy if you plan to tune it up. Apparently a lot of the stuff that gives the extra power has to come off before you can turn up the boost etc. I await someone telling me otherwise.

There is on goin on the modified gumball this year so will be interesting to see how that goes!

Well according to the stats its 0-60 in 3.9, making around 366bhp /355 in torque, top end 175mph supposedly........and weighing slightly less then the Supra.......

But I hope our 3ltr lump helps on the top end, as in how quick it gets there above a ton, surely the 2ltr would be running out of steam above a ton compared to the Supra no ?

Gaz, have a word with your mate, he's trying to know the Supra of its pedastal...... ;) :D