The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newby needing info

Poshmalc

Hi guys,

I might be being a bit of a plum here but I'm new to the Supra game. Properly used to Vauxhalls before now, sorry!

Can anyone tell me the difference between late spec/facelift models of the mk4 Supra. I keep seeing references to it on certain websites and have found myself a bit confused. Also what do the codes JZA 80 and MA70 relate to?

Cheers for any info guys! ;)

Matt

JZA80 - Supra MKIV

MA70 - Supra MKIII

The facelift is both cosmetic and mechanical, depending on the car. There are some facelifts which have not had the VVTi engine fitted. Facelift has different lights at the front and back, some different gauge cluster bits. Essentially they are the same car at the end of the day.

The VVTi however has different ECU (bear this in mind if you are considering modding it).

JZA 80 is the mk4 engine, the ma70 is the mk3 engine i think. The late models that are face lift have better lights rear and front and slim front indercators, not the big orange things. But all these lights can be put on a non facelift anyway. Also some of the later models are VVTI, Well worth getting if you can aford it. good luck boyo.

JZA 80 is the mk4 engine, the ma70 is the mk3 engine i think. The late models that are face lift have better lights rear and front and slim front indercators, not the big orange things. But all these lights can be put on a non facelift anyway. Also some of the later models are VVTI, Well worth getting if you can aford it. good luck boyo.

JZA80/MA70 refers to the body/chassis design.

2JZ-GE, 2JZ0-GTE being the engine's that were fitted by standard, not aware of the UK and J-spec having different codes.

7M-GTE, 7M-GE and 1JZ-GTE were fitted the MA70 chassis.

The major differences between facelift and non-facelift are:

Front and rear lights including indictor clusters and where they are positioned on the car

Front bumper

Seats

Dashboard including clock, gauge panels and numbers of gauges (5 instead of 3)

A couple of small technical changes under the bonnet but nothing major

Airbag in passenger seat.

Also, don't get confused with the different models. First there was the Mkiv Supe and then in June 1996 it went through a facelift change. In Sept 1997, the mechanical part of the Supe was changed to the VVTI spec; hence the reason why you have a facelift version and a VVTI facelift version

Cheers for clearing the info up for me guys,I reckon it wasn't that bad a question to ask now. You guys definitely know your stuff and I' guessing that you're the anorak Phoenix-One :p

Thanks again!

Matt

hahahaha, hmm anorak?? :search: Don't think so, just be amazed on how much you learn when you decide to take a car apart and transplant a facelift VVTi Turbo into a non facelift. Everything you think you have thought off... suddenly gets a lot bigger *grin*...

Good bunch of guys on here, feel free to ask away, and someone is bound to give you a good answer. Just don't ask whether a manual is better than auto, please I'm begging you *grin*

Thought the Supe Forum talked in terms of Supra's, facelift Supra's and VVTI models.

If that's the case then my grammar is correct;)

Actually that is a very good way of looking at them, in that case I do apologise...

Treating them as three seperate models almost makes a lot of sense..

Hi,

The facelift came in mid 96', you can tell if it is a facelift as it'll have these front lights with side repeaters on the wings, clear front bumper repeaters and rear lights and rear corner side lights too

and a 5 dial dash

also the facelifts were given extra choices of colours these being RSP (royal sapphire pearl blue), gunmetal,quicksilver

Quicksilver as on supra above

RSP

Gun Metal

and they also had more optional extra's, recaro seats,UK brake upgrade were options on the RZ-S but were standard on the RZ, and from late 97 onwards VVTI technology was introduced on the TT.

VVTI engine bay here

HTH

Tom.