The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Odo and Clock Conversion

R3DG3CKO ROB

I know a few people have used Gel sheets to change their clocks and odo to blue etc... but I'm just wondering if anyone has done it to red?

Basically it looks cr*p - in daylight... Without the dash lights on it just looks like it's a bit of red plastic in front of the clock and odo (which it is) at night it doesn't look too bad but it does look a bit blury (prob due to the number of layers of gel sheet I had to use)

Has anyone got any advice?

Can you get Red LED displays?

Anyone know where to get some really dense gel sheets?

Rob

You mention using lots of layers of Gel sheet? Why did you need to do that?

I used a thin piece of transparent plastic (some people use CD cases, I went for something a little thinner, tough plastic packaging - just about cuttable with scissors), then glued the ends of the Gel sheet to the non-visible bits and stuck it in place. Granted I did mine old faithful blue, so don't know the quirks of the Red. Maybe if you use less filter you can get a better effect?

I used so many layers because the gel sheets I used are too washed out... (local craft shop rubbish)

I tried it with only a couple of sheets and you couldn't even tell they were there - it just glowed white - straight through the red plastic.

What I need to find is some red plastic that appears nearly black until you shine a bright light through it...

I've got cd case plastic in front but it still reflects as red...

Ahhh, righto.

I got a big sheet off the dreaded fleaBay, and they are actually really good quality. Again, I can't speak for the red though. I think it was a company called liteopia or some such that were doing the gels, they answer questions so maybe you can ask them about your application. They delivered within 2 days, seemed good enough to me.

Nice one... Just ordered them :) Thanks

Hi Heckler - I was following your excellent dashboard conversion guide the other day and realized I hadn't printed out the alternative heater control method... Went to your website and the guide was gone!!!! :) so I put it all back together... lol

I think I might have to get you round mine at some point before I screw it all up :) I live in St Ives in Cambs...

Nice one... Just ordered them :) Thanks

Hi Heckler - I was following your excellent dashboard conversion guide the other day and realized I hadn't printed out the alternative heater control method... Went to your website and the guide was gone!!!! :) so I put it all back together... lol

I think I might have to get you round mine at some point before I screw it all up :) I live in St Ives in Cambs...

ahh, not too far from me then ;)

Oh, just as a quick query if Heckler still watching this thread - since doing my heater LED conversion, whenever the lights are on (dash illuminaiton on) - the led's for the fan speed go very very dim (all the others are ok), then when the lights are off they go bright again - have I fooked or forgotten something? :blink:

Oh, just as a quick query if Heckler still watching this thread - since doing my heater LED conversion, whenever the lights are on (dash illuminaiton on) - the led's for the fan speed go very very dim (all the others are ok), then when the lights are off they go bright again - have I fooked or forgotten something? :blink:

have you changed the diode? what value resistor are you using for the fan speed?

Do the other LED'd dim when the side lights are put on?

I haven't changed any diodes (other than adding LED's ;)).. should I? The other LED's do not exhibit this behaviour. As an aside I am using the four LED's in the temp control as opposed to EL wire (as with the button illumination). I *think* the resistors used are 390's (whatever was suggested in the guide).

I haven't changed any diodes (other than adding LED's ;)).. should I? The other LED's do not exhibit this behaviour. As an aside I am using the four LED's in the temp control as opposed to EL wire (as with the button illumination). I *think* the resistors used are 390's (whatever was suggested in the guide).

ideally, the diode should be changed. Ahh, I see, your using 4 led's for the fan speed back light? - how many resistors? really, you only need 1 led for the fan speed back light...

ideally, the diode should be changed. Ahh, I see, your using 4 led's for the fan speed back light? - how many resistors? really, you only need 1 led for the fan speed back light...

Hiya,

4 LEDs are for the temperature control knob, not fan speed (trying to get the main temps lit up) - although I am using 2 LEDs for that one under high and one under low on the fan speed. I am using one resistor per chain of LED's - seems to work fine (I use a modified bulb holder with resistor attached to mount the LEDs).

I'll look at sorting the diode out - I think I remember reading something about it in your guide now... (That'll teach me for mixing two different guides together on how to do the conversion :)) - for some reason I thought it was only necessary to do the diode mod if you were using EL wire ... d'oh.