The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boost Gauge / Controller

Stonkin

I'm looking for a boost gauge and also at some point soon a boost controller. Originally i was going to buy a Greddy 60mm Electronic gauge and a controller another time.

I've seen this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AEM-TRU-BOOST-GUAGE-TYPE-CONTROLLER-TURBO-FULL-KIT-NEW_W0QQitemZ140072588005QQihZ004QQcategoryZ72205QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and wondered what opinion/experience anyone has on them. Should i keep the 2 seperate or are these any good?

Cheers

cheers Jamie, am i right in thinking its only a single solenoid? does this make a huge difference. How good a BC is this compared to a greddy profec spec 2 for example. What makes it good?

also i would think this as a boost gauge is far easier to read as its digital than a sweeping needle

Have you got one?

There has been a few threads about on the supraforum with people getting great results usng the AEM boost soleniod over other makes... certainly works well on mine.

Im just using the solenoid, As the AEM ecu controls my boost, I have a inline switch in it which when flicked runs between 1.4bar and 0.7bar ( wastegate is set at 0.7bar)

• 4 weeks later...

Stonkin, Jamie, what was the conclusion on this? I was looking at getting a boost gauge and a boost controller but if I can get it all in one I'm for it! Shame they don't do it as a 60mm gauge.

So does it work well on the stock turbos? Can it do everything needed of it?

I don't have this but did used to have a turbosmart e-boost controller in my rover coupe turbo. I found it so much better and easier than having separate gauges and controllers.

The turbosmart looks like it works along the same lines as the AEM. The digital boost read-out was easier that needles and it still had peak boost hold etc. You could set the gate pressure too. The good thing that I found on it was that where you would set a warning point on a boost gauge and it just flashes, the turbosmart you'd set an a maximum and if it hit that it wouldn't let you have anymore boost.

It does sound good - I need a definative answer though - will this work ok with a TT setup? Where are all the people using these AEM controllers??

The AEM boost controller should work fine, it is quite a basic boost controller though. Some of the higher end boost controllers include gain feature which helps increase spool up time of the turbos significantly.

Some of the best boost controllers also allow you to map the boost settings against speed, this means that you can maximise boost in all gears. Without this feature, you need to set the boost levels in the higher gears, but won't be able to get max boost in lower gears