The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ChargeSpeed Bonnet

SupraJames

And I'm on-line as well so this should be easy.

Right guys, the Chargespeed was a fecking nightmare to fit and it can't be fitted (correctly) unless you cut the 2 bonnet catches mounted in the bonnet and then use pins to lock the bonnet when down.

If you don't do the above then you will have a bonnet that rests approx 20mm higher than the top of the bumper when closed. My new TS Facelift bumper top is currently being crudely lifted by 4 big nuts until the catches are cut and the Aerocatch pins are fitted.

Also, you need to make sure that you get the correct Aerocatch pins as there are 2 types. Mine are the correct ones as you simply cut a hole in the bonnet and then insert them top-down and secure them. The other ones which you don't want do exactly the opposite (i.e. you cut a hole in the bonnet and they get fitted upwards - this means that the hole being cut has to be more than perfect or else it will look like shit.

Finally, the areocatch pins are bloody massive compared to normal race pins as they contain the entire locking mechanism which has to be housed in the bonnet. The problem with the Chargespeed bonnet (and this goes for many of the Carbons bonnets too) is that there are lots of vents and curves so finding the best place to flush the pins correctly is not that easy!!

I intend to take the bonnet catches out and then mount the aerocatch pins where the bonnet catches normally go as that looks like the best place (i.e. the flattest) for them to go.

If you want a Chargespeed bonnet then you 'really want one', if you know what I mean to go through this hassle

Yeah, that was delivered to..!! Miami and SRB want £425 + P&P. Andy if you read this, have you got a number for the place you got your bonnet..? If so can you PM me it, ta man.!

James,

I got mine for £395 'delivered' from Trojan Mororsport in Essex. Give this man a call and tell him that you're from this forum and that I sent you mate:

[email protected]

Nick Ward owns the company and he was shit hot.

One thing that i did not mention is that the Chargespeed needs LOADS of pre-painting preparation due to the type of silicon that the company use during the moulding process. It took my guys a good few hours to burn all of the 'bubbles' out of the bonnet. What this means is that they may not have burnt all the silicon shit out of the bonnet so the paint could bubble when hot.

Not a great experience to be honest. I did think yesterday about chucking the bloody thing in the bin but I'm going to see this one through now:(

The four pics of the bonnet are where my guys had to 'dig' the silicon out of the surface.

The other pics are of the crude bolts holding the Top Secret front up and the last shot is of the bonnet catches in the bonnet that need removing.

The car goes in to day to get the bonnet re-polsihed; the catches fitted with special mounts mad and a Trial-Rear fitted too.

I don't want to seem a miserable fucker but this hasn't been as easy job

5000.jpg

5001.jpg

5002.jpg

5003.jpg

Image4004.jpg

Image4005.jpg

Get a bonnet from Knightracer, perfect fit.:)

Jamie,

A fair point mate. The Chargespeed bonnet is in fact a 100% perfect fit - it's just the prep , the pins (in the case of Aerocatch types) and the catches that need sorting.

Otherwise, it looks the dogs boll......................s:)

Umm still might go for it, dont worry wont be in red though ;)

Do it mate!

I was only pissed off because I didn't know any of this, being the first guy to fit one.

You know what to do now so it won't be a problem.

The results will be great so get one bought and get fitting.

This thread is just me being honest with you mucka as I don't want you to think that its just an 'buy'n'fit' jobbie like what Knight Racer does.

Will order one hopefully this week..! :)

Well the car is off to the body shop for around a month, full new kit going on, so hopefully they will have long enough to get it fitting right, just need to find a Blitz or Bomex Wide Mouth front end to comlete the kit, got skirts, rear bumper and rear wing..!

James,

To make it easy:

1. Heat bonnet to release silicon.

2. Dig out silicon deposits and then fill + prime etc.

3. Remove bonnet latches from the bonnet itself.

4. Remove bonnet locking units in the car.

5. Get your bodyshop (or even you) to make up some support brackets for pin mounts.

6. Choose the Super-Flush style areoctach pins (or normal pins to make it easier).

and you're off.........

7. Paint

That's it:)

Cheers Andy, that is a huge help and will speak to your guy laster and order the bonnet..!!! Cheers :)

Drop me a line if you need any other info. I'll continue this thread in a few days time when I get the results of the Aerocatch fitment issues

Hope to see a nice Chargespeed bonnet on your car soon:)

Cheers mate, where did you get your Aerocatch bits from..? and how much were they..? Sorry im being lazy here lol

That's OK mucka!

I got them from this place and their delivery was bloody quick (2 days):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AEROCATCH-BONNET-PINS-CATCH-DRIFT-STYLE_W0QQitemZ250071969132QQihZ015QQcategoryZ52637QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But don't buy these ones as they are the type that are fitted from underneath the bonnet and you need the ones as per the link above:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AEROCATCH-BONNET-PINS-CATCH-DRIFT-STYLE_W0QQitemZ180073961419QQihZ008QQcategoryZ9886QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Always here to help Sir:)