The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HID conversion

OhGod

Hello all.

I've been browsing for a few days now and seen various references to HID conversions, most notably bought from Nic or in the VisionBulbs group buy, but not seen much feed back on what you thought of them?

Wondering if you'd mind giving some feedback on how you think they stack up against the standard Supra lights (I find the high beam is already very good - though I'm coming from a Corrado VR6 so that's not hard - but the dipped are a little poor) and, ideally, where you bought your kit from and for what price.

Thanks for your input.

Massive difference. With HIDs it's like somebody has painted everything with a roller across the road in super bright shade. Even the road signs and car reg plate give off a super brightness. I hardly ever use main. They're that good. But make sure you get the right temp rating. Too blue and the visibility becomes poor.

If you head over to VisionBulbs and choose 'HID Conversion' from the menu on the left you can play with their colour temperature diagram in the top left, it shows the different temperatures from 4300k to 12000k and the colour produced by those lights. 4300k are the brightest, and as you go up they lose their brightness but, in theory, look cooler. Your choice really!

Before I place an order can someone confirm the bulb size. For a JSpec/Import face lift model I want 9005 as 9006J aren't available, and 9006 won't fit...correct?

Thanks.

I've got three 4500K kits from VisionBulbs - done the normal lights and the fogs so far. Everything is much better illuminated, BUT the range of the lights is only trivially better - you can still only see so far into the distance. I'm guessing this is to do with the setup and/or the fact that the bulbs is covered by a diffuser.

I had a HID kit fitted when I got the car already. However, the conclusion between the HID dipped beams and my crappy standard sidelights or main (full) beams is that the HIDs are truly in a class of their own.

Mine are 4500k and have a nice blueish tint but great lighting. I'll be looking at doing the Fogs soon and just uprating the bulbs of the other lights. :)

I got the 4300k set from Vision Bulbs and there is a marked difference in the light output over halogen bulbs.

Mine were fitted by an auto electrician friend who commented that the quality matched the HID conversion on his BMW which he paid three times as much for.

what do you guys do about your sidelights afterwards as im guessing they still look yellowy.

get the vision match or ids it the xeno match bulbs from vision bulds that gets rid of the yellow...

i have the 8000k and "VISION MATCH BULBS" their is white light and the dipped lights are slightly blue... thats why im changeing the bulbs to 4200k:tongue: :tongue:

what do you guys do about your sidelights afterwards as im guessing they still look yellowy.

I fitted some PIAA LED Saturn sidelights. Bought them from Demon Tweeks about 4 years ago and had swapped them into all the cars i've had.

I've got the two LED version but they some in 4 and even 6 LED now as well. Mine are the white ones but you can get white/blue, blue, red or white/red.

My local Motorcare has them in now too.