The mkiv Supra Owners Club

People that have done the LED heater mod

DamanC

Right, ill be totally honest here, when i comes to electronics i have absolutely no idea what im doing.

I have a spare heater unit sitting here that I intend to carry out Si's alternative blue LED mod on.

Now my problem lies with Si's list of parts

* 12 x 5mm Blue LED's

* 4 x 3mm Blue LED's

* 2 x 390R Resistors

* 3 x 510R Resistors

* 2 x 5cm Wire

Simple enough you would think, the problem is that im even simpler!

Search maplin.co.uk with "390R Resistor" and the result i get is this.

Is that what i want? A Metal Film 2W Resistor? What has 390R got to do with it? :search:

Another example, searching for "blue LED" there are loads listed. Quite simply i do not know what i want :(

So, what im ideally after is a part number list that i can search for and then order the correct parts rather that a collection of totally useless parts. Does anyone have this or would anyone be able to formulate this?

Just to be real picky, if the part numbers are from rapid that would be great as there is one down the read from me. Any input appreciated :)

I'm just about to do mine. But instead of doing the whole LED thing I will be using where I can refractor LED replacement Bulbs. There is a company on Ebay called Velocity LEDs that suppy the #194 refractor bulbs, which unlike a standard LED with its limited 20 degree viewing angle, consists of 5 LED's in one bulb pointing in all angles. The other smaller type are #74's which are inverted LEDs, but again fit straight into the bulb holder.

Of course I will still be using LEDs for the heater controls, but it saves having to do the dial cluster, cigarette lighter etc...

I would point out though that these do cost around $9.99 a pair!!! However, the Ebay guy does bulk discount with batches of 10 or more :) .

Will post the results of the change when I get the bulbs this week.

I got one of Emins first kits, we got it done, but never again lol.

why can someone just produce bulbs with a blue filter lol

Hi Mate,

I've just completed this mod. However I used this guide http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388487

Most of the dash lights are straight forward, I got mine from here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200060924284&rd=1,1 the plug straight in and look great!

For the rest, i.e. the other dash light (as I couldn't find an inverted LED), the ignition barrel and the heater control I used blue and white 3mm LEDs from here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=7624118554&rd=1&rd=1.

The guy on ebay chucks in the correct resistors to work with 12V which need to be soldered to the positive side (the longer wire).

Hope this helps.

you want to get the 1/4w resistors, you dont "really" need to get the 390 value, but something very close, and dont go below 200, as the LED will probably go "pop"

I get my resistors in bulk from ebay... and my LED's come from "the component shop" as listed on my website

Again, with the LED's you want a clear, ultra bright blue's