The mkiv Supra Owners Club

OS GIKEN clutch

Jonny5

Anyone have any experience with an OS Giken twin plate clutch, it's the one MVP has on there site and is rated up to 650 RWHP.

Just wondered if it's slightly user friendly in traffic or if it's a bitch to use (on/off)...or if they have a limited life..

cheers Jon

I dunno mate, give Jonty a pm and im sure he will give you his views..

I can recomend the Exeddy twin plate, mine has taken loads of abuse and is lovely to use.

the exeedy and the osg clutch are near identical ;)

i have used the twin and tripple osg and found them about the best for usability be it not in a supra, i have had the exeedy twin in my r33 gtr and found it very grabby but it was great for launching :D personnaly out of the 2 i would have the osg twin.

did you drive my silver zed jon? that had the osg twin and was lovely.

hows the engine work coming on mate?

Speak soon

Mike

I fitted a OS G twin plate into my GTR. It wasnt too bad from a driving point of view but then again we dont get traffic the same as im in the middle of nowhere. One thing i did find was it made quite alot of noise , as i initally thought i had a knakad release bearing but even after a new clutch and bearing it still made the same noise

I would recommend a ACT 6puck paddle. I had one in my T88 supra and it was superb.

Anyone have any experience with an OS Giken twin plate clutch, it's the one MVP has on there site and is rated up to 650 RWHP.

Just wondered if it's slightly user friendly in traffic or if it's a bitch to use (on/off)...or if they have a limited life..

cheers Jon

Multi plate, cerametallic lined, and sintered plate clutches are neither meant for, nor nice to use in traffic. They are really a competition clutch, but the Giken ones are as civilised as they come, but they all ratlle =like broken china when released, and they all have very short lifespans if slipped.

the exeedy and the osg clutch are near identical ;)

i have used the twin and tripple osg and found them about the best for usability be it not in a supra, i have had the exeedy twin in my r33 gtr and found it very grabby but it was great for launching :D personnaly out of the 2 i would have the osg twin.

did you drive my silver zed jon? that had the osg twin and was lovely.

hows the engine work coming on mate?

Speak soon

Mike

I forgot you had one in your zed m8, I did'nt drive it but i remember you commenting how good it was..

turbo installs pretty much sorted and shes now putting out decent power see this thread..

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=94819

see you soon m8;)

cheers Jon:)

Not harsh to use - however mine is suffering from clutch slip from brand new. We have fully ajusted the linkage arm under the plate and this still has not worked:( Very frustrating and the clutch has not been used in anger. In for less than 4000 miles. We are taking the clutch out this week to examine all the parts- full clutch system. OSG has great reputation. It could be that my clutch unit was not installed properley? Will know more this week.:rolleyes: If replacing will go for RSP Carbon Carbon and refurb the OSG Jonty