The mkiv Supra Owners Club

brain power needed - what can I use?

Mike B

Seeing as it constantly raining right now sup in in the garage getting a damn good clean and polish with a bit of cosmetic stuff done. Top of the list right now is to get the wheels sorted...

but I've hit trouble... I have chrome dish with alloy core RH wheels, and it's the dish that is causing woe.

I have a lot of spots of what can only be described as solid tar on the unexposed areas of the dish. the deposits are stuck fast..

and before you ask I have tried..

tar remover,

wheel cleaner (3 brands)

detergents

and cellulose thinners as well as 2 pack thinners.

lots of elbow grease.

Then I tried poking them with a sharp screwdriver and they just fall off.... great but it marks the chrome..

so what do I use..?:search:

I have tried a sharp hardwood edge

plastic edge off a toothbrush..

it just laughs at the bristle end..

but can't think of anything else.....

I need a scraper hard enough to shift the lumps but soft enough not to mark the chrome... some sort of hard sharp nylon blade...?

any ideas...?

I'm lost on this one.... but need to get them cleaned properly then waxed.. so I don't get in the same situation again.

Lollypop sticks! Tried that - then tried hardwood version (leftovers from the living room floor) - it didn't even take the tiniest bit off before disintegrating...

Autosol polish... where do I get that from? I guess I'd have to use it on a mecanical polishing head of some sort...?

the deposits are so hard that the screwdriver will disintegrate the cloth before it shifts the lump.. this stuff is just unreal.. like little spot welds! really hard nylon screwdriver is what I need - remember those nylon bolts you can get? something made out of that stuff that I can use as a scraper...

I get these black spots too, on the stainless wheel lips and the exhaust. The ones on the exhaust are the worst, rock hard they are. Autosol or Meguiars NXT All Metal Polysh works (eventualy) but Ive found that protecting the surface first cuts down the build up of these black deposits a lot.

As others have said autosol is great on chrome. It does leave a film (which is good), but on expensive alloys I'd really want to use a proper sealant on them after cleaning. Envy usually recommend Zoopseal, Also Ibrar at Pro Alloys can probably offer some good advice.

I get these black spots too, on the stainless wheel lips and the exhaust. The ones on the exhaust are the worst, rock hard they are. Autosol or Meguiars NXT All Metal Polysh works (eventualy) but Ive found that protecting the surface first cuts down the build up of these black deposits a lot.

whats best to use for 'protecting' them in the first place as im getting simmilar problems with my alloys?

autosol shifts them marks but they keep coming back!!!

cheers

whats best to use for 'protecting' them in the first place as im getting simmilar problems with my alloys?

autosol shifts them marks but they keep coming back!!!

cheers

I've read on here that Zoop Seal is really good if you take time to apply it (I've never tried it) I use Muc-Off Silica wheel seal

http://www.muc-off.co.uk/carmain.html

Stupid comment moment...dont get it any where near your brake disks / pads.

I've used it on the exhaust back box too, but I'm not sure you are supposed to:innocent: I cant see a problem if you polish off the excess well...so far so good.

Theres other stuff of course, but I like it.

Problem solved!!

the deposits of the exhaust come off straight away with autosol, but the rims; no chance!!

I found the ulimate tool...

In a aquarists shop - they have flexible scrapers for cleaning aquarium glass after build ups of calciferous algae...

the nylon one wouldn't touch it but the stainless one took them all off in one swipe and left no marks at all on the chrome.... genious!! won't work on alloy though as the blade will cut straight into the laquer. Works a treat on chrome.. Got the whole wheel back to new... :D

I have sealed the with two generous coast of different makes on polish. maybe could do with something even heavier duty... maybe I should try some specific sealer.

If they are definitelychromed a small dab of nitromoors will shift the tar spots. Be very very careful to not get it on anything lacqueuerd or painted as it will strip it ;)

To protect them a good sealant glaze, i recommend Klasse sealant glaze followed by a good carnauba wax.

Then wash weekly with soap and water.

This is what I use on my alloys.... best is to apply it when they are brand new, before any crap gets near them...

Bright pink and smelling of suntan lotion, Poorboy’s Wheel Sealant can be used on aluminium, coated, chrome and painted wheels and offers superb protection from the environment and brake dust.

Brake dust attacks the wheels and can leave you with corrosion, so the price of this Wheel sealant is much less than a set of new rims.

Poorboy’s Wheel Sealant provides a clear, shiny and protective coating that will block out the dirt and pollution. You apply it like you would any wax or sealant, buffing to produce a shine and then the dirt and dust sit on this coating unable to break through it. It also means that your wheels will be easier to clean next time.

* Use on any wheel types

* Helps protects wheels from brake dust, oxidation, moisture, tar and bugs.

* Use weekly for best results.

I think Peter Richards may have something similar or indeed be able to supply this.

Gav