The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Volt meter question

shimmydude

Hey, i was looking at fitting a volt meter in the car.

Now i have a triple guage pillar mount for 3 other gauges so dont have room there, and i would like to keep both my blowers on the dash.

What i was wondering is,

are there any kind of digital volt meters like rectangle shaped that could sit behind the steering wheel (on the column) Similar to those that have boost controllers and that.

Short of no-one knowing of anything like that, what else could i look at doing to mount a normal 52mm guage that would look good?

Would appreciate any help & idea's :)

The Audiobahn ADM100T is the kind of thing that would be perfect. Small self contained, Nice display. Only A) im not sure if you could rig it to read from the bettery and not from the amp (would have thought so) and b, not sure if its available in the UK, couldnt find anything UK based, all American...

Does anyone know what size the clock space is on a pre-facelift ? Was wondering if a gauge could be fitted there insted of the clock..

Have read threads about doing this with a boost gauge but that was on a facelift supe, and i seem to remember reading something like the clock was bigger on the facelift models.

To keep an eye on volts, duh! :p ;)

yeah right, i have an oil pressure gauge, transmission temp gauge (allways looking at that) engine oil, AEM wideband, EGT, and boost (peak hold is very handy) my Apexi turbo timer has a volt meter but who gives a f**k - like i said just interested, is it an ICE thing ?

off all the gauges i could stick in a supra why in the name of Homer Simpson would you want a volt meter - just interested

If you saw my first post you would see that this is not the "only gauge" i want in the car. I already have 3 on the A-pillar and none of these are volt gauges.

Why do i want a volt gauge?

Because i will hopefully be running some kind of audio setup at some point and would like to be able to check on what volts the battery is putting out. :)

But back to my question, does anyone know what size the pre-facelift clock is, and can a gauge be put there without too much work - i.e. cutting the dash to make the hole larger. :S

yeah right, i have an oil pressure gauge, transmission temp gauge (allways looking at that) engine oil, AEM wideband, EGT, and boost (peak hold is very handy) my Apexi turbo timer has a volt meter but who gives a f**k - like i said just interested, is it an ICE thing ?

No idea mate. I'm fitting one in mine eventually, but as you say that will be for monitoring voltages for my ICE install. I wouldn't have thought there would be much point to one ordinarily.

If you saw my first post you would see that this is not the "only gauge" i want in the car. I already have 3 on the A-pillar and none of these are volt gauges.

Why do i want a volt gauge?

Because i will hopefully be running some kind of audio setup at some point and would like to be able to check on what volts the battery is putting out. :)

But back to my question, does anyone know what size the pre-facelift clock is, and can a gauge be put there without too much work - i.e. cutting the dash to make the hole larger. :S

ahh right, i thought ICE, yes you can put a 52mm gauge in the clock location with little trouble i have my EGT gauge there

Just curious, why a volt meter, I know its to "keep and eye on volts, but there must be more important things that could fail, that could cause real damage, that are more important to "keep and eye on". The alternators on the MKIV are pretty reliable.

When I have finished build I will have oil pressure, and oil temperature. Transmission temperature, Water temperature,AFR, EGT. If I could add another it would be transmission fluid pressure.

Not having a go just curious.

Just curious, why a volt meter, I know its to "keep and eye on volts, but there must be more important things that could fail, that could cause real damage, that are more important to "keep and eye on". The alternators on the MKIV are pretty reliable.

When I have finished build I will have oil pressure, and oil temperature. Transmission temperature, Water temperature,AFR, EGT. If I could add another it would be transmission fluid pressure.

Not having a go just curious.

slight hi-jack here termy, i have a tranny temp gauge which along with the boost is probably the most watched gauge in the car, interrested to here your comments on pressure i never thought it an issue, food for thought