The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is There Anybody Here Who Hasn't Stuffed Their Supe?

Chewie

Have you ever stuffed your Supe?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever stuffed your Supe?

• Yes - I was driving like a loon, pilot error ...
    • Yes - It wasn't my fault - bad weather, mechanical failure ..
    • No - I'm too far good
    • No - I'm just lucky.

It seems nearly every Supra owner I meet, talk to has had a crash. This week we've heard and seen the aftermath of Squiffy's amazing escape. What does this say about Supra drivers or for that matter Supras? Are we out of our depth or is the car, standard or modified, a lethal population controller. Instead of buying performance and bling, maybe we should be improving our driving skills to match the car's capabilities. It seems you can pass your test at 17 and as long as you pay the insurance drive in a group 19/20 car. Maybe the next group buy should be a high speed driving course? I'm not having a go. I know we're all responsible law abiding citizens. I'm just interested in hearing comments. Discuss.

Well I for one must admit that I've experienced a 2nd turbo 'spin' on a local roundabout here in Eastbourne a while back. Luckily no damage, and I won't be trying to weave between traffic whilst in 2nd gear, and accelerating away without caution again!

I've had my car since May last year, and its taken me quite some time to get used to a whole different way of driving, what with it being an auto, turbo, rear wheel drive and BPU. Very enjoyable all the same, but I find myself not taking the risks as I used to in my Prelude vtec, as I don't really know if I'm going to over-do the thrust pedal, have rear wheel spin and lose it in a ditch (or roll it as the case may be etc).

I personally think a high speed driving course would be a good thing!

Nothing so far touch wood. The auto NA nearly got me with the kickdown on a wet roundabout. The TT has nearly got me a few times with No2 kicking in while overtaking but I've always been quick enough and lucky enough to ease off and straighten her up.

I think if your used FWD then you really need to be careful and learn that planting the foot down will not straighten the rear out. I had an MR2 before the sup and it was scary in the wet.

I'd be interested to see how many crashed cars are stock, the stock TT I owned for everyday driving regularly got the tail out etc. But the trial car handles so much better, as it should given the mods. The tail comes out much more predictably for a start.

Plus there is no 2nd turbo to catch me out ;) But I wonder if stock TTs are simply a bad proposition in the wet\damp ? Yes tyres play a part, but like I said - I found my stock one to be a lot more unpredictable in the wet.

Stock TT performance is hardly poor, maybe the first mods should be handling based ?

Oh yeah, no crashes yet and have owned stock, BPU+ and single.