The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bottom Pulley Smashed Up My Car

NUTKIN

Just got back on the low loader my 93 tt j speck is now mashed up the bottom pulley sheared off an left me with no power steering whilst showin off an sent me spinning off into a lamp post. Iv smashed the wing an the bumper an the bonnet.

I had a look under the car an iv bent the steering rack.

Does anyone no if the seering rack arm can be replaced im not talkin about the track rod end its the bit that this screws on to or is it the whole rack that needs to be replaced.

Is this bottom pulley a common problem or is my car special.

The bottom pulley is actually two parts the middle bit an the outer with a rubber bit between these. My outer and inner parts have seperated.

It's a common thing. It would have most likely been squealing for a couple of weeks beforehand as the rubber slowly tears around the circumference. Most people get them changed when the squealing starts.

Sorry to hear it's caused you more grief.

uh oh, I have a slight squeek from the belts, gonna check that today then

A tired aux belt can screech. A mild solution, one or two drops, of washing up liquid in half a pint of water sprayed on to the ridged side of the belt will stop the sound if the belt is very dry and near the end of its life. Just a few squirts will do not the whole half pint.;) If this stops the screech, change the belt. Not much use to Nutkin

If noise remains, get the pulley checked/ changed. Heat must never be applied to these pulleys. Unfortunately as this method is frequently used to remove solid pulleys, it may be the standard method used by anyone who does not know that the MKIV has a rubber dampener.

Asked if the pulley was hard to get off, they will probable say yes, then ask what method they used. Don't ask if heat was used as they will probably deny it. :rolleyes:

It's a common thing. It would have most likely been squealing for a couple of weeks beforehand as the rubber slowly tears around the circumference. Most people get them changed when the squealing starts.

Sorry to hear it's caused you more grief.

FFS mine has been squeeling like a bitch for weeks - trying to get new tensioner as thought it was that............. :(

FYI - Checking Crank Pulley

Use a feeler gauge inbetween the inner and outer Crank Pulley. If it's near to 32 mm then it's about to split off! A new one has a gap of 1.3 mm'ish. The crank pulley coming apart can cause the V belt to go in a slight angle, causing a squeel.

I learnt the hard way too was squeeking and on my way to get it sorted when someone in a Boxter came flying up behind me.....well it would be rude not too so with out thinking dropped down a gear and flawed it only to have my cabin light up like the enterprise on red alert. Luckly for me I managed to heave the car to the side of the road by a farm gate and found the timing belt had fallen off with no other damage and the pully in 2 bits rather warm.

Have you had your cambelt changed recently? If so did whoever did it use heat on the bottom pulley bolt at all?

If so, id be having a word with them.

Yep, I complained to Toyota Sidcup, and they fitted a new one labour free, as I said I would have been happy to pay for a new pulley had they told me it needed replacing. They actually said they used a blowtorch, despite me telling them when I dropped the car off, not to do that, and that the pulley was fine.

My one sheared off mid roundabout, most enlivening.

It would have most likely been squealing for a couple of weeks beforehand as the rubber slowly tears around the circumference. Most people get them changed when the squealing starts.
My understanding is that the squealing noise starts after the rubber between the inner and outer parts of the crank pulley has sheared, not as an indication that it's started to go.

The noise is from the two parts slipping against each other. Once that starts it's only a matter of time before the outer ring falls off and a matter of luck how much damage it does.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this Jake.

I think what happens is that once it's split more than say 50% of the way around, when a good amount of load is applied to the belt (ie when air con is turned on, or when accelerating hard) the pulley outer mis-aligns itself to the inner. The belt isn't then running straight and rubs against the guide parts of the other pulleys so it squeals.

At least that's what I observed when mine started to squeal.

I'm pretty sure that once it's gone all the way around, it's not going to hang around staying anything like in the right place, it's going to come off and leave you parked in a lamp-post like this poor guys.

You can easily check it though chaps.

Get the bonnet open, and whilst looking directly down at the bottom pulley, give the throttle cable a sharp tug (no need to go mad with it!) As soon as you pull the cable, if the pulley is shearing, you'll see it do what I can best describe as "a wobbler" and you'll hear it squeach at the same time.

If that happens it's time to replace it.

I learnt the hard way too was squeeking and on my way to get it sorted when someone in a Boxter came flying up behind me.....well it would be rude not too so with out thinking dropped down a gear and flawed it only to have my cabin light up like the enterprise on red alert. Luckly for me I managed to heave the car to the side of the road by a farm gate and found the timing belt had fallen off with no other damage and the pully in 2 bits rather warm.

Does the timing belt falling off/snapping cause no major engine destruction?

You will have to excuse me :imnew:

Does the timing belt falling off/snapping cause no major engine destruction?

You will have to excuse me :imnew:

thats right it doesn't.........but just to clarify the belt Daston is talking about (but calling the timing belt) is the Aux belt the one that drives the alternator, power steering etc.......this going has no ill effect either as long as you can stop without hitting anything!

The pulley going causes impact damage as it can come off at some speed........

I had a look under the car an iv bent the steering rack.

Does anyone no if the seering rack arm can be replaced im not talkin about the track rod end its the bit that this screws on to or is it the whole rack that needs to be replaced.

yes you can replace the steering rack inner ends which the track rod ends screw on too, but people dont normally split them from a good rack so try jezzybabes on this forum he should be able to help.

Just saw this Jake.

I think what happens is that once it's split more than say 50% of the way around, when a good amount of load is applied to the belt (ie when air con is turned on, or when accelerating hard) the pulley outer mis-aligns itself to the inner. The belt isn't then running straight and rubs against the guide parts of the other pulleys so it squeals.

At least that's what I observed when mine started to squeal.

I'm pretty sure that once it's gone all the way around, it's not going to hang around staying anything like in the right place, it's going to come off and leave you parked in a lamp-post like this poor guys.

You can easily check it though chaps.

Get the bonnet open, and whilst looking directly down at the bottom pulley, give the throttle cable a sharp tug (no need to go mad with it!) As soon as you pull the cable, if the pulley is shearing, you'll see it do what I can best describe as "a wobbler" and you'll hear it squeach at the same time.

If that happens it's time to replace it.

When mine came away it was squealing because the belt was running around the rubber ring.

The metal ring had slipped forward far enough to allow the belt to slip off it, towards the engine so it was just running around the rubber part.

Im in the process of doing my timing belt, so the crank pulley is off. Before dismantling, i had a slight squeek but thought it was my PS pump bearing, however upon closer inspection of this, there doesnt seem to be any play. this makes me think the crank pulley may be causing the squeek. looking closely at the crank pulley, there are a small number of hairline cracks in the rubber, some at the joint of metal / rubber. Are these the tell tale signs of it on its way out?

Im in the process of doing my timing belt, so the crank pulley is off. Before dismantling, i had a slight squeek but thought it was my PS pump bearing, however upon closer inspection of this, there doesnt seem to be any play. this makes me think the crank pulley may be causing the squeek. looking closely at the crank pulley, there are a small number of hairline cracks in the rubber, some at the joint of metal / rubber. Are these the tell tale signs of it on its way out?

Yep, time to replace it - mine was the same when doing the timing belt so went for new.

Cheers,

Brian.