The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Considerations for my build...

grahamc

More details of my build in the link of my signature.

Getting really close to the build, so starting to ask a lot more questions.

Basically I am aiming at getting to 500BHP (flywheel) mark, with full fueling system (PHR Stage 1), ECU, cams, decat, induction, fmic.

EDIT - UK spec hybrids also

My questions:

1. Is it worth my while to look at having the clutch and flywheel done at the same time as the engine.

2. ECU Wise, I am considering the AEM, HKS F-Con V Pro, Apexi or the Ulitmate, I am thinking that for my needs and with cost in mind the HKS is a good buy.

3. With the HKS ECU do I need a boost controller as well?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT - any other advise would be great!!

Hello,

1. For 500bhp you'll need a better clutch

2. Go AEM or Apexi not HKS a very limited number of poeple can map the HKS.

3. Yes

Nick :)

Cool!

What about flywheel?

I am seriously considering the Apexi... Does this need a boost controller?

Thanks

Is there any actual benefit to buying a boost controller of the same brand or is it worthwhile just going out and getting a blitz (dual) one?

I have seen the Autronics used in the world of subarus in Australia (mate runs a rally car), but just dont know about it in a supra...

Costs?

Mappers?

Apexi Avcr is a very good boost controller, the Blitz Sbcis alot more simple to use though,

Think there are a few Autronic dealers in the UK and one or two in N.Ireland also

If you look at the Autronic siteyou will see that an Auto Tune function can be got with some of the ecus

I would use the ECU to control the boost. It will be referenced to absolute pressure instead of gauge pressure like the SBCid.

As far as ECU's...

AEM

Motech

Autronic

All 3 can do much the same stuff. Motech is probably the better supported of the 3, AEM is probably the cheapest.

I would use the ECU to control the boost. It will be referenced to absolute pressure instead of gauge pressure like the SBCid.

As far as ECU's...

AEM

Motech

Autronic

All 3 can do much the same stuff. Motech is probably the better supported of the 3, AEM is probably the cheapest.

While I agree those are by far the best options, budget should also play a factor.

A basic piggy back need cost more than £600 inc the mapping, standalones will double that at an absolute minimum, potentially much more for a 'proper' setup. Obviously a piggy back is not ideal, but can be made to work at lower power levels.

True.

The problem is getting something that people can commonly map.

E-Manage ultimate is great, but Ian C seems to be the only person in the world who can actually map it with much success.

HKS, a few people around can map these, but as the software is not freely available, trying to get a good understanding of the functionality and utilising it at it's optimum is difficult. It leaves you solely in the hands of the mapper.

Apexi, I don't know much about.

2. Go AEM or Apexi not HKS a very limited number of poeple can map the HKS.

Apexi have discontinued the Power FC now so very difficult/impossible to get hold of anymore.

I would personally go with the HKS F-con V Pro, yes it needs to be mapped by an HKS Pro dealer, but the ECU is extremely good and not overly expensive.

Well I have been offered an Apexi unit, basically brand new, for a decent price, including the datalogit software and black box.

The HKS standalone is also an option.

At the end of the day, I would prefer to have the boost controlled by the ECU.

I have only vaguely heard of "MAP II piggyback" any links?

Next question:

What sort of fuel system should I be looking at? PHR Stage 1, etc?

What turbo spec are you using Graham?

If it's hybrid UK turbos, I would fit 550cc in stock rail and single in tank Walbro. The PHR kit and also the parts I gave you prices for before are overkill on hybrid twins.

If you are using hybrids then I'd recommend the following:

1. Power Enterprise 550cc side feed, high impedance (these fit the stock rail).

2. 1 x Walbro Fuel Pump (J-spec = 342, UK Spec = 341).

3. New OEM Fuel Filter.

What turbo spec are you using Graham?

If it's hybrid UK turbos, I would fit 550cc in stock rail and single in tank Walbro. The PHR kit and also the parts I gave you prices for before are overkill on hybrid twins.

If you are using hybrids then I'd recommend the following:

1. Power Enterprise 550cc side feed, high impedance (these fit the stock rail).

2. 1 x Walbro Fuel Pump (J-spec = 342, UK Spec = 341).

3. New OEM Fuel Filter.

Nic,

I am quite happy with the prices that you have given me, I just wanted to confirm that they would be enough... thats all...

If they are, then that is the sort of fuel system that I want.

Maybe single walbro though.

EDIT - Yes, UK hybrids

Graham