The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Shocking.......

Suprash

Thought the title might get some more antention but true to the thread I suppose......

I have decided my Supe needs to be lower now but I really dont want a harsh ride. I suppose I would like to be a little firmer, but I dont want the ride to get tiresome over long distances......

Thing is I havent a clue about shocks/springs. I have a 98 Supra, but not sure if it has that suspension that Toyota done on the later models (REAS I think it was?), I have had a quick looks at the dampers and I can see a small pipe running out of them but arent sure ?

I would like some suggestions on possibly what setup would be best to go for, ie keep my dampers but just lower it by using some different springs or would I best buying something completely different.....

I really am clueless on this on guys so any help would be greatly taken..... :cool:

Don't lower it more than an inch max, that's my advice. There isn't a lot of suspension travel as stock, if you lower it an inch you have lost a big percentage of the travel before it's on its bump stops. To keep it off the bump stops you need a stiffer spring rate. Stiffer springs = harsher ride. You need my suspension kit... :)

I've got Chris's suspension set up on my UK car (still with standard 17" wheels too!) and it really does transform the handling. Whilst it'll never be a go-kart I've given an Evo a good run for its money round some famous Lincolnshire twisty bits! Even he was shocked that my fat arsed beastie kept ahead of him!

And its well worth the money too!

Book in and you will not regret it.

1250 fitted with the geo reset to suit. Only proviso is if the adjusters are seized solid, which can happen, but is quite rare. Custom valved made in Germany Bilsteins with custom wound progressive springs.

Is that the January sales price :p :D Thanks Chris, adjusters should all be fine as I have just had a full geometry setup done, will be within the next 2/3 months......

Whats the cost of the shocks if thats the fitted price ?

Is that the January sales price :p :D Thanks Chris, adjusters should all be fine as I have just had a full geometry setup done, will be within the next 2/3 months......

Whats the cost of the shocks if thats the fitted price ?

I can work out a price if you insist, but i would much rather set the whole thing up myself. At a rough estimate I would say supply only the springs and dampers would be about 935

I can work out a price if you insist, but i would much rather set the whole thing up myself. At a rough estimate I would say supply only the springs and dampers would be about 935

I'm interested too. What's so special about your kit? Surely you source your springs and dampers from standard retailers?

Does your kit maintain std ride height or lower it as Suprash original post?

I would definitly be interested in this.....

Chris, no need for a break down, I was just curious to how much the kit is costing roughly to how much your labour rate is.... ;)

It comprises revalved to my spec Bilstein dampers (4), and 4 custom made, progressively wound springs. car is lowered 15 to 18 mm at the front and 10 mm at the rear, more than this and the kinematics of the suspension go to pot, and many custom made bits at huge expense would be needed. I don't change bushes or anti roll bars, bush changes will make the car harsher, which most people don't want, although i am toying with offering these later this year. Fitting them will be on an "as long as it takes" basis only, getting susoension arms off old cars can be unpredictable. Nor do i change the anti roll bars, stiffer bars can give very bad ride over single wheel bumps. I won't be offering these as TRD already make an excelent kit, and Whiteline make (in my opinion) a cheap and nasty one, so both ends of the market are covered.

The geo is then reset. I have a road set up, that 99% of people have, and a track day set up, that I alone used. The track day set up is excellent for ON TRACK DAY tyre wear, turn in and grip, but the car will be edgey over ruts and white lines on normal roads, and suffer poor inside edge trye wear. The total cost is **** UK pounds, no VAT to pay, and only extra should be if any suspension adjusters are seized beyond normal means of freeing them up.

Save you searching.;)

When I bought my second car it came with some kyb soft but very low springs which jurgen now has. they will hit your bump stops on rough roads though. Give him a pm if you want to try those, I recon he would let them go cheap!

I've had lots of setups, and after forking out lots of cash over the years I wished I'd just paid CW and had the job done properly (for normal roads). The JIC coilovers I have now are pretty good in the choppy stuff, but do suffer poor extension when you go over sudden dips - like sitting in a rollercoaster.

suspension makes so much difference and I have never heard a bad word about the CW setup. See if thre is a member near you with one to go for a ride in. If I have to change again this is at the top of my list.