The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Calling All N/a-t Owners

BOB B

Hi Everybody

IM ACTUALLY APPEALING TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP REALY, I KNOW THERE ARE THREADS AROUND ON THIS SUBJECT BUT IT WOULD TAKE ME FOREVER TO GET THEM ALL TOGETHER.

IM STUCK AND I HOPE SOME ONE COULD GIVE ME SOME ADVICE. I AM CURRENTLY IN THE PROCESS OF BUYING A 93 TT, BUT I HAVE A REALY NICE 96 NA, NOW DO I CARRY ON AND GET THE TT OR DO I GO DOWN THE N/A-T ROUTE.

IF I GO FOR N/A-T (I WOULD LIKE TO RAISE BHP TO AROUND 350 ISH), FOR ALL THOSE WHO HAVE DONE THIS (LOTS OF QUESTIONS NOW), HOW MUCH DID IT COST? HOW LONG DID IT TAKE? DID YOUR INSURANCE GO UP DRASTICLY? (I CURRANTLY PAY AROUND £200), ARE THE RUNNING COSTS AROUND THE SAME AS A TT, I DONT REALY WONT TO CHANGE THE EXHAUST BUT WOULD I HAVE TO? FINALLY HAVE YOUGOT ANY RECOMENDATIONS AS TO WHO COULD DO THE JOB? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

BOB.

Hi Everybody

IM ACTUALLY APPEALING TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP REALY, I KNOW THERE ARE THREADS AROUND ON THIS SUBJECT BUT IT WOULD TAKE ME FOREVER TO GET THEM ALL TOGETHER.

IM STUCK AND I HOPE SOME ONE COULD GIVE ME SOME ADVICE. I AM CURRENTLY IN THE PROCESS OF BUYING A 93 TT, BUT I HAVE A REALY NICE 96 NA, NOW DO I CARRY ON AND GET THE TT OR DO I GO DOWN THE N/A-T ROUTE.

IF I GO FOR N/A-T (I WOULD LIKE TO RAISE BHP TO AROUND 350 ISH), FOR ALL THOSE WHO HAVE DONE THIS (LOTS OF QUESTIONS NOW), HOW MUCH DID IT COST? HOW LONG DID IT TAKE? DID YOUR INSURANCE GO UP DRASTICLY? (I CURRANTLY PAY AROUND £200), ARE THE RUNNING COSTS AROUND THE SAME AS A TT, I DONT REALY WONT TO CHANGE THE EXHAUST BUT WOULD I HAVE TO? FINALLY HAVE YOUGOT ANY RECOMENDATIONS AS TO WHO COULD DO THE JOB? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

BOB.

There is a little button on the keyboard called 'caps lock'. Contrary to popular belief, pressing it does not render your PC useless but instead, makes your text easier to read and as a by-product, pleople can be arsed to read your text and provide you with a good answer.

Worth remembering for the future good buddy ;)

Thanks For The Helpfull Comments, Im Still Hoping For A Bit More Info On N/a-t.

Just Found My Insurance Info, £217 With AXA Through Hyprformance For Me And Wife £200 Excess, Fully Comp, Both On Full No Claims And Yes Both Members Of "saga"

Bob the NA-T thing is a relatively new thing over here............go back 18months and anyone considering it would have been told to do as you are doing and upgrade to a TT.

If you have seen and driven the TT and are happy with the ride quality condition in comparison to the NA then i'd say for the £3-4K extra its probably costing i'd go with the TT.

If your SAGA people then its my guess that fitting and tuning a NA-T conversion yourself is not likely? you would be looking more towards paying for an install?

Turbofit have done some and i believe £3-4K is the going rate and this will get you to TT power level maybe a smidge more. However you may have clutch issues and your NA may not have the larger brakes or a LSD etc etc......

I would say though that you 'know' your NA whereas a new car is always partly a gamble...........a complete spare NA engine is a 1/3 or less than the cost of a TT engine.........the stock turbos 'could' go soon after purchase costing extra on top of the £3-4K purchase premium...............

So lots of its/whats and maybe's.

Thanks Scooter and you kept to the subject too, yup your right there are so many ifs, buts and whats, I have a chioce of an older but low milage black TT or a more recant average milage black aerotop and then get a single turbo conversion. There wont be that much in it the latter being slightly more expensive I recon.

Thanks again

Bob

Going Na-t is getting more populair by the day. More and more members are actually converting their Na's into NA-T's, i;m one of them.

There are some budget kits out there, or you could go for a well known brand kit, but that will cost a lot more. It;s all about budget and how crazy you want to go.

Be clear for yourself about how much horsepower you want and how much you want to spend to reach that goal.

After that you can decide to go for a TT or NA-T kit.

Post here what your goals are and we might be able to help you.

IMO for a easy life and if not too emotionally attached to the NA i'd say go TT........you may never have to go single as a BPU TT will be a massive increase in performance on the NA........

I believe the NA-T's make better sense for the DIYer in general........

IMO for a easy life and if not too emotionally attached to the NA i'd say go TT....

Good point, this is one of the reasons I went for the conversion on mine. Now you say you are looking for 350bhp... this figure is right on the cusp of the basic kit and things getting expensive.

There are quite a few kits out there now, mine was one of the first to be done over here so I went with the well proven Boostlogic stage 1 kit from the US, this will allow you to run a safe amount of boost on the standard headgasket, think it is around 5.5 psi alot of people say 7psi is the max on standard gasket. It was also recommended to me to have some larger injectors for two reasons

1) the standard injectors would be right on their limit

2) for future upgrade purposes

After all that was fitted it made 283bhp @0.35bar at the wheels which is possibly around 340 flywheel bhp.

The next step is where it starts getting expensive, to run higher boost it is a headgasket change or lower compression pistons, a decent management system, boost controller, uprated clutch.

You may be happy with the power the basic kit puts out but IMHO you will always want more