The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thoughts and Opinuns

terribleturner

It's been asked before, hell i've probably even asked it. Gauges for a (non water cooled turbo) single. Now i could always get the spal dual ones but not keen on the look. So i have Boost and AFR gauges, and i have space for 2 more. The ones installed that im replacing are EGT and Oil Temp. Now i like the Oil Temp because i know when i can start to push the engine and when it's been pushed too much. I also like the EGT but some on here say if you have an AFR you don't really need the EGT, so that can go guess. I quite fancy an Oil Pressure gauge as twice last year i had problems which wouldn't have been if i had a pressure gauge on hand. And the last one is Water Temp, now i've never had it so wont really miss it, but with oil temp/press and the fact i want to be doing a few track days next year is it something i should consider???

So let me sumarise....

I have...

AFR

Boost

I must choose 2 from...

Oil Temp

Oil Press

EGT

Water Temp

Why fuel pressure over the others Col?

Well, whilst the stock water temp gauge isn't brilliant, it is there so I would discount that as you are otherwise just duplicating. Due to such variances in EGT readings (dependant on the fitting point), I am not too sure just how much use that would be on a day to day basis (plus I was never sure exactly what to do if they went high :) ).

I always felt that as the fuel pressure was such an important part of the car running correctly (and safely) then that was one I would have defo gone for. Surprisingly, Dude thought so too :D

I'd go for Oil temp for the reason already stated, then oil pressure.

I don't see the point in a fuel pressure gauge, they measure the pressure of the fuel thats NOT used by the engine. Its only relevant when the engine's off and the pumps running.

I'd go for Oil temp for the reason already stated, then oil pressure.

I don't see the point in a fuel pressure gauge, they measure the pressure of the fuel thats NOT used by the engine. Its only relevant when the engine's off and the pumps running.

I am a little confused by that. I used mine to check that the rate of pressure was rising at the same(ish) rate of boost. Are you saying that isn't the case?

I am a little confused by that. I used mine to check that the rate of pressure was rising at the same(ish) rate of boost. Are you saying that isn't the case?

I always thought fuel pressure on the return dropped on boost as more fuel was used. Guess i'm wrong then!

That's whaat i wanted, a debate :clap:

So Joe, why the EGT?? I've always read on here if you already have a AFR gauge you don't really need the EGT.

My AFR's were fine (slightly lean at times but within reason) before Dan remapped my car. EGT's were quite high though.. 950c and rising steadily, if I did not have my gauge I would have never known and would have most likely started cooking bits.

An AFR gauge shows the distribution over all 6 cylinders, so one may be compensating for the others, or the change may not be noticeable in the single value shown by the AFR. I think it was Mr Wilson that was looking, if not found, for a way to measure all 6 runners EGT values.

As for saying what gauges I would have, it would have to be keep the EGT and Oil Pressure.

I have in mine:

Boost gauge x 3 (T Timer has one and E-01)

EGT

AFR

Water Temp

Fuel Pressure

Oil Temp

All with individual warning lights AND peak recall.

I have in mine:

Boost gauge x 3 (T Timer has one and E-01)

EGT

AFR

Water Temp

Fuel Pressure

Oil Temp

All with individual warning lights AND peak recall.

I also have

Boost x 3 (Defi/Blitz turbo timer/SBS I colour)

EGT

AFR

Oil pressure

Fuel pressure

Volts

Water temp (not connected, using the stock gauge at the moment)

Most of mine are also able to record peak and have user configured warning lights/sounds

I have a voltage thing as well, but it is built into the SPA digital gauge to say that I have a problem.

As a side note, I know that some people say that the best runner for an EGT is No.6 due to being the rear most cylinder, but has anyone considered the fact that the exhaust ports on cylinder 2 and 5 are smaller than the rest?

It was this thought that made me put my EGT into runner 5 on tubular manifold.

I have a voltage thing as well, but it is built into the SPA digital gauge to say that I have a problem.

As a side note, I know that some people say that the best runner for an EGT is No.6 due to being the rear most cylinder, but has anyone considered the fact that the exhaust ports on cylinder 2 and 5 are smaller than the rest?

It was this thought that made me put my EGT into runner 5 on tubular manifold.

My probe is mounted in the manifold collector.

Good replies but some are you are missing the question :D

Beacuse i don't want the car looking too much like the starship enterprise im just putting in 2 extra gauges along side my Boost and AFR. Sssssooooo I must choose 2 from...

Oil Temp

Oil Press

EGT

Water Temp

And with your answers why you think they are more important than the others.