The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine warning light

Millsy

Before you say it - I've done a search and can't find anything that answers my query.

Basically the engine warning light and warning light in rev counter come on every now and then. Usually it's under reasonably hard acceleration. After a while of sedate driving they both normally disappear. Is this to do with a CO2 sensor in the exhaust somewhere that's going bonkers because it's had a cat removed? Or something more serious? The car still seems to run ok - had a new cambelt and full service about 2k ago - fan sounds a little whiney. Also the overdrive light sometimes flashes on and off but usually stops.

Any ideas/ help would be most appreciated as I'm getting paranoid everytime I drive the car!!!

I believe it may still be limited judging by what happened at 120mph! Thanks for the error code thing. I'm a technical dunce but it kind of makes sense - just start worrying about playing with things I don't fully understand incase I make things worse. Is using this paperclip method pretty dunce-friendly!

Scared the crap out of me when I hit the limiter, is whole new engine management the only way round it?

God no! Just get a Thor delimiter for £50 (or whatever it is now) . Its the one used by almost everyone here, it's the only one worth bothering with as it also corrects the speed sensitive steering. Many other ones don’t which result in dangerously light steering at higher speeds.

Thanks again. Right, clear ecu, take for drive and make lights come back on, then do the paperclip thing and watch the beeps to find the fault code. Then try to figure out how to fix the fault but get the Thor delimiter in the meantime. Perfect.

Can't he just do a code 42 fix ? Like i did or is this abit rough round the edges type a fix ?

Not recommended at all, best to solve the 'problem'. Besides the speed limit thing might be something else, best we hear about the error codes first :)

Thanks again. Right, clear ecu, take for drive and make lights come back on, then do the paperclip thing and watch the beeps to find the fault code. Then try to figure out how to fix the fault but get the Thor delimiter in the meantime. Perfect.

Thats about it, if you're unsure what to do just ask here and someone will be able to assist :)

Thanks guys - what we're all doing on here at this time of night I don't know. Just got back from that thing at Xtreme in Harlow. Was quite quiet but two other Supras down there - not sure who though. Organisers reckon they'll hold club nights if people are interested and it's a pretty good site. Big screen too so could put in Supra dvd and watch from the car park.

Anyway, I'll report back with fault codes soon hopefully. Thanks again.

I'm interested in this horrible thing Millsy says happens at 120mph. IME speed cut isn't a violent loss of power like say Fuel Cut, it just stops accelerating almost as if you've backed off the throttle a little to much.

Care to comment, Millsy?

Have you checked your break fluid level, as that is very sensetive and kept making my warning lights come on under breaking and hard acceleration.........as the fluid gets pushed back and forth in the resevior......

Jake, are you serious, you just need delimitering by the sounds of it and you know all this, or are you having a bubble bath somewhere that I have missed.....as far as Im aware the speed limiter isnt anywhere near as harsh as fuel cut, so what you say your getting sounds about right. Mate I feel like Im teaching you to suck eggs here, so sorry if I am ?????? Its half way into my night shift so thats my excuse..... :D

I'm confused by your post Ash. I can't work out where you're talking to me and where to Millsey.

Yes I was being serious in my previous post.

I wasn't saying I'm suffering Speed Cut (if that's what you were thinking) - just that I had experienced it in the past and that it isn't much like Fuel Cut.

I'm confused by your post Ash. I can't work out where you're talking to me and where to Millsey.

Yes I was being serious in my previous post.

I wasn't saying I'm suffering Speed Cut (if that's what you were thinking) - just that I had experienced it in the past and that it isn't much like Fuel Cut.

Thats what was I thinking, I thought you said you was interested in this too, seems I confused myself, still not hard though is it :D But Im still using my middle of night shift excuse..... :p

The first time I hit it I wasn't expecting it, and I seem to remember quite a loud bang from my exhaust. I was all set for going faster so that noise combined with fact I couldn't was a little worrying at the time. Since then I've only hit it a couple of times and it's very different and how it should be, just realised I wasn't going any faster so slowed down.

Sorry if I've confused you, just the first time I hit it there was a noise that's why I said it was a horrible thing. It was also horrible that the EVO got away!

Guest Pizza-Tosser

I've seen this a few times. There seems to be a particular batch of ECU's that had this curious issue. They check out fine when put on the test rig but swap it with another of the same part number and the problem goes away.

:wtf: