The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just reached the 100k mark or have I?

RedM

I went through the 100,000 miles mark this morning. A sad moment TBH.

I got to thinking about the actual mileage though. What I don't know (as I'm the second UK owner) is what happened when the car was imported. Did they switch to miles and leave it to count up or did they convert the km to miles and roll the mileage back?

So I contacted the importer, who replies:

Checking on our system it shows the car was sold with 46683 miles, it does not indicate wether the tripometer was converted though.As a rule we convert the speedometer to read in mph and leave the trip in kms if you understand.It can be converted however by replacing a chip for about £80, we have no record of it being done here though.

Now, I'm confused. Does that mean I'm measuring distance in kms? As far as I can tell the distances I travel seem about for miles but now I'm thinking otherwise.

Mind you, It'd be nice if I was in a car that had only 62k on it.

I would imagine it would be in Kms bud

I had the same question until i did the following

When you next see a service staion marker 1 mile away reset your counter then by the time you get to the junction it will either read something close to 1.5 or 1.7 depending the accurancy of the sign, otherwise it will be between 0.9 or 1.1 if it is in miles.

Surely it should be very easy to tell if the odometer is clocking up in KM's or miles? A short run should confirm that very easily. :blink:

My guess would be that it was showing 47,000 km's (29,000 miles) when they then changed it over to clock up miles. That being the case, you will now have covered the the 29,000 original miles plus the 53,000 extra thus around 82,000.

Surely it should be very easy to tell if the odometer is clocking up in KM's or miles? A short run should confirm that very easily. :blink:

I've been trying to think of a place where there is a definite distance to destination. A sign that says Leeds 4 miles is too vauge. What constitutes Leeds? I'll have a pootle along the m-way tonight and see if I can find a service station with a mileage marker.

My guess would be that it was showing 47,000 km's (29,000 miles) when they then changed it over to clock up miles. That being the case, you will now have covered the the 29,000 original miles plus the 53,000 extra thus around 82,000.

What?

What?

I type slowly so you can understand :p

You said the car was sold showing just under 47000 miles on the odometer. My guess would be that the figure was actually in KM's after coming over from Japan. Therefore the true reading in miles was around 29,000. They then changed it so that it was now clocking up in miles from then on. The numbers weren't changed - just the type of input (miles not KM's).

So, since then you have clocked up around 53,000 miles and are showing 100,000 on the odometer but that is a mixture of KM's and miles. Therefore, if you take the original figure of 47,000 and divide that by 1.62 you get the miles of around 29,000. You then add that to the extra miles ( 53,000) and you get 82,000.

I type slowly so you can understand :p

You said the car was sold showing just under 47000 miles on the odometer. My guess would be that the figure was actually in KM's after coming over from Japan. Therefore the true reading in miles was around 29,000. They then changed it so that it was now clocking up in miles from then on. The numbers weren't changed - just the type of input (miles not KM's).

So, since then you have clocked up around 53,000 miles and are showing 100,000 on the odometer but that is a mixture of KM's and miles. Therefore, if you take the original figure of 47,000 and divide that by 1.62 you get the miles of around 29,000. You then add that to the extra miles ( 53,000) and you get 82,000.

Again but slower! ;)

So, for sale then 1995 TT with fairly good mileage. £8000 :D

Guest NiceGuyEddy

Had the same problem with ours when it was imported in Aug 05. Was originally reading just over 87,000km but the odometer was altered to read 54,000 miles. After a few trips over known distances it was clear though no other conversion had been made and it was still clocking in km's :blink:

The odometer now reads 67,000 so it has done

67,000-54,000=13,000km (since Aug 05)

13,000/1.6=8,125miles

54,000+8,125=62,125miles

Is that right?:blink:

Try RAC route planner to help gauge distances. It's normally pretty accurate

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/routeplanner/

I think your car has done the 82k as CJ said. The company that imported it have also said they never adjusted the mileage on the car so I'm guessing nobody else would have bothered. Can you get in touch with the previous owner to confirm?

What really grates me is that I recently sold my TT with 108k miles, the price reflected the mileage.

I too thought as you that my mileage must have been adjusted upon import. It wasn't until I was looking through my docs the night before it sold that I noticed from the Jap & UK service reciepts that it appeared to have never been changed - unless the first UK owner did like 35k miles in one month! I just took the previous owners word (a trader who took it in px) that the mileage was correct.

I knew my car was in too good a nick to have clocked over 100k.

A colleague of mine left work before me and kindly measured the distance from where our workplace exits onto the main road all the way a set of lights we both head for.

He sent me a text saying it was 1.4 miles.

I drove the same way and I made it 1.4 miles too.

Goodnight.