The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Tiptronic question

Guest Greg

Hi

I am going to buy a supra this month and i have to get an automatic. I have seen that you can get the tiptronic and the automatic and i was wondering if there was much difference between them in performance and usability.

I have read through the list of things to look out for when buying a supra and would appreciate any additional advice you may have.

The tiptronic is essentially the same gearbox, but with more a more advanced control system and a couple of buttons.

It's only available on the VVTi OBDII 1998+ Version of the Supra...because it needs the OBDII ECU (which is not backwardly compatible with the pre VVTi OBDI ECU.

The tiptronic is essentially the same gearbox, but with more a more advanced control system and a couple of buttons.

It's only available on the VVTi OBDII late 1997+ Version of the Supra...because it needs the OBDII ECU (which is not backwardly compatible with the pre VVTi OBDI ECU.

Ahem.

Hi

I am going to buy a supra this month and i have to get an automatic. I have seen that you can get the tiptronic and the automatic and i was wondering if there was much difference between them in performance and usability.

I have read through the list of things to look out for when buying a supra and would appreciate any additional advice you may have.

So as the tiptronic is only available on VVTI engines you get the updated engine along with the tiptronic setup. VVTI engined cars are very sweet. :)

I find the tiptronic VVTI an excellent vehicle.

Hi. I am going to buy a supra this month and i have to get an automatic. I have seen that you can get the tiptronic and the automatic and i was wondering if there was much difference between them in performance and usability

I've had a TT auto and I now have a TT VVTi Tiptronic. Performance wise...the VVTi (Tiptronic) is supposed to have slightly more torque, my importer claimed it had slightly more power too (due to the higher rev limit according to them) but I havent seen proof on here. I'd say the Tiptonic definately has more go lower down, and the higher rev limit is fact.

Useability...if you like autos, you will love the Tiptronic manual mode (just to clarify, the Tiptronic can be used as a normal auto too). Although only four gears, the button-shift on the steering wheel is great fun and goes a fair way to giving you some of the control of a manual. The buttons are rather small though, and until you get used to it you might get the odd missed gearchange, but once you remember which buttons are upshifts and which are down (:innocent:) and as long as you dont wear gloves its fantastic IMO.

Cheers for all the feddback i was a bit worried about buying it but now i feel better about it.

I don't know anything about cars except how to drive them!

Now i just have to find somewhere that sells them.

Cheers again for all the feedback really appreciate it.

Do you guys not find the Tip gear changes a bit slow? Mine was a little disappointing in that respect.

Also the Tip isn't great for down-changes, always seemed rather harsh - a bit like down-changing in a manual but feeding the clutch in too fast.

Do you guys not find the Tip gear changes a bit slow? Mine was a little disappointing in that respect.

Also the Tip isn't great for down-changes, always seemed rather harsh - a bit like down-changing in a manual but feeding the clutch in too fast.

I love the way down shifts in manual mode its perfect for me :)

What slow changing up? I just press up and dip the throttle a touch and alls wonderful.

I drive in manual all the time :cool:

I never thought of dippng the throttle. It just never occurred to me

We have to dip the throttle on our race bikes for clutchless changes so it sorta comes natural.

I love coming up to roundabouts and dropping gears at the touch of a button the overun is great then you can hold the gear round the roundabout and have the engine right on song for when you exit and tear up the road :cool:

6 speed manual too agricultural for me :tongue: