The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Speed camera info - important for SW Eng

suprattgaz

[sHOCK][/sHOCK]

For your Information

The new yellow cameras being installed between J29 and J31 on the M5 are not traffic cameras but are SPEC average speed cameras. The first (and subsequent) cameras read your number plate and if you arrive at the last camera too quickly it is £60 and 3 points. They do not use film, and you will not see a flash. Prosecutions are electronically produced.

There are 4 sets of cameras currently installed in each direction.

Although SPECs are used elsewhere in the country these I believe are the first set to be installed in this region and are likely to catch a lot of drivers.

I do not know when they will be switched on (they might be already although there are no warning signs up yet but although warning signs are in the Home Office guidelines their absence will not constitute a defence).

The cameras are installed between M5 J29 Exeter (Honiton Road) and M5 J31 (A30 Interchange).

Although SPECs are used elsewhere in the country these I believe are the first set to be installed in this region and are likely to catch a lot of drivers.

Although these are the first set to be installed in that region this is not the first time this has been posted. :innocent:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=93270&highlight=SPECS+camera

The cameras are installed between M5 J29 Exeter (Honiton Road) and M5 J31 (A30 Interchange).

Are they the new ones appearing on the blue motorway sign gantries, with bright orange backing plates? I was wondering what they were over the seasonal holiday period ... hope they're not on yet :help: (still - I've only an n/a, so no need to worry ;) )

Are they the new ones appearing on the blue motorway sign gantries, with bright orange backing plates? I was wondering what they were over the seasonal holiday period ... hope they're not on yet :help: (still - I've only an n/a, so no need to worry ;) )

My N/A aerotop done 145 leptons when I was testing her :tongue:

It was on private track of course and I still had some rpms to use.

The latest Speed Camera database is showing up quite a few on the M5 around Exeter:

Southbound:

Just North of J29 (50.73587N 3.46015W)

Adjacent to the J29 slip entry road (50.72595N 3.46211W)

Another a couple of miles further on (50.72066N 3.46215W)

Two just S of J30 (50.70862N 3.46607W and 50.70486N 3.46840W).

Northbound:

Just after crossing the water at Newport Park (50.69445N 3.47483W)

Two just S of J30 (50.70250N 3.46980W and 50.70734N 3.46723W)

One between J30 & J29 (50.72170N 3.46248W)

One on J29 just after the turnoff (50.72951N 3.46263W)

Add them to your "Favourites" :(

Are they the new ones appearing on the blue motorway sign gantries, with bright orange backing plates?

Yup thats the ones. Be careful though because they are not all on the sign gantries with the orange backgrounds, there is a set southbound on posts and northbound after you have left the roadworks on posts.

anyone know if/when these were active? They had black bags over them well into December.:rolleyes:

They still had black bags over some of the 'middle' parts of the cameras yesterday so hopefully not yet. :confused:

Apparently go live today.:(

Lifted off Highways agency site:-

"

Project

Work is being carried out on the M5 motorway at Exeter, between October 2006 and the end of March 2007. Two schemes will run concurrently, which are to comprise essential maintenance works, central barrier upgrades and congestion improvement.

The project will involve the replacement of existing slip road lighting at junctions 29 and 30, and also on the main carriageway between the two junctions. At the same time an upgraded central safety barrier will be installed, in order to prevent cross-over accidents and enhance safety on this stretch of road.

Traffic Management

The local authority plans to alter the layout of the roundabout at junction 30 (Sowton), enabling traffic to filter more effectively and reduce congestion on exiting the motorway.

In preparation for this, extensive work to widen the northbound exit-slip will be taking place, during which time it will be necessary to restrict this slip road to single lane running until completed. In addition, the entry slip roads at junctions 29 and 30 will be reduced to a single lane between January and the end of March. Occasional overnight slip road closures may also be required.

Work on the M5 will affect approximately 4km of carriageway, although the actual lanes in use will vary as work progresses. Due to the reduced lane width on this section, there will be a 50MPH speed limit in operation. SPECS safety cameras are being installed to record the average speed of traffic passing through the site. They will go live in January 2007 and will be in operation until the end of the scheme.

"

Guest Nicholas

I'm sure there was a post on here that said if you enter a zone with specs cameras all you need to do is exit in a different lane to the one you entered in and they don't get you?

If I remember correctly they have a problem monitoring more than one lane at a time?

Nick.

EDIT: - Should have read the whole post doh! - repost

Do you think we're heading for a system where all major roads will be monitored by these speed averaging systems? Seems to me they're the perfect way to control speed, but obviously they take away any fun from driving, not to mention taking away your attention from the road as you pootle along on cruise control.