The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Smaller rear wheels for road use

scotspower

Having been looking at supra's state side they often put smaller rear wheels on the cars with a larger tire profile on, though these tend to be for drag racing purposes.

I presume that this is to achieve increased traction on the tarmac but obviously these cars are only going in straight lines.

I like the look that this creates but if I were to do this would it then present handling problems for road use?

nerotablepic1.jpg

You probably could but I believe you will have quite a lot of sidewall flex, I am no tyre expert though.

Personally I think it would look like crap, unless it was a drag radial and at the track.

Don't fall in for that image they are portraying over in the States with some of those shots. Those cars are not daily drivers, they only see the light of day for RR days/track days and highway (Motorway) races once in a while. The climate is much warmer and drier in most of the states these type of shots are taking place in as well.

• 3 years later...

Hi guys, currently i have Rota GTR's on my NA which are 18"x8.5" all round. A very close family friend has offered me a pair of Rota GTR's which are 17"x9.5", this will enable me to stagger my wheels.

Just wanted to know if putting these smaller rear wheels will cause me any problems in terms of handling or will it actually improve it?