The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A Supra

Guest TBamforth

Anything is possible :)

I just don't think many people have bothered, it's probably cheaper and easier to NA-T or drop a TT lump in.

A member called Jagman was working on something a while back but I'm not sure if anything came of it.

As far as I know there are bolt on kits for the Lexus IS300, one of those might be a decent starting point?

It's a 2JZ-GE VVTi I believe.

:yeahthat:

There are couple of US companies that do supercharger kits for the Lexus IS300, this uses the 2JZGE engine the same as teh Supra but it is the VVTi version, which has an electronic ignition ie. no distributor. The suspercharger fits where the the distributor is located on the Supra, so you would need to convert the ingnition to use individual coil packs for it to fit. They are also designed to fit LHD US cars so there *may* be some other fitment issues (possibly issues with the location of the steering column on RHD?)

http://www.lextasy.com/LMS_IS300_supercharger.htm

I looked into this as well, it being something different in the UK and iirc a s/c could put the car up to around 400-450 bhp for around 5 grand (and Sky would add 500 quid to my premium). I still like the idea, although as Nic pointed out, there could be more problems in store if you try to bolt a US LHD kit to a RHD car.

Kudos wise it would be a great project, however I've not seen anyone here do it, so it would be an interesting project since there aren't many resources over here that have done. Most of them are NA-T's.

I do know a few people consider it, but then wrote it off due to costs.

Two members who looked into it that spring to mind are Dangerous Brain and Arnout, sadly however neither of them are with us any more. Arnout I believe has actually implemented it.

Guest pompeysupra

mmmm been thinking about this myself after see the nissan 350z in the mags with the novidem ? supercharger...... wondered about doing away with aircon and using that pulley wheel to 'switch' on a supercharger in a simular manner to the z.

Benefits - N/A fuel consumption until you want to play and then loads of low down torque compared to TT when you want to get a shift on ?....... dont know probably talking crap.....and expence to find out ! :)

Don't forget that because a supercharger is crank driven you'll have to get more power out of the engine to drive the supercharger itself, so hp for hp you'll be stressing the engine more with a supercharger than with a turbo.

However, as you say you'll have more torque on tap low down.