The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1000?BHP single/TH400 project

Terminator

Now that the 200sx/RB25 project is almost complete, we are just waiting to collect the car from Rising Sun with a good map, it is time to put together over three years of part gathering.

I was going to build my own motor, but the VWR lump I purchased was much too good to miss. I also got an amazing deal on a race spec TH400 gear box. The GT74DBB turbo had some extra work done to it by Ben at PHR.

I am still unsure which TC to use. I have a completely rebuilt PI 3800 that has done a dyno run delivering 900RWHP (US ponies) with out slipping or a 4500 race spec brand new unit. I suspect I will keep both use the 3800 for the road and the 4500 for drag.

Engine spec is as follows:

Long block spec:

New long block

New stock crank

Clevite bearings

ARP Mains

Carr Bolts

Carillo H Beams

Custom JE’s .040 over Pistons/Rings CR 9.5:1

HKS 1.8mm Head Gasket

ARP Head bolts

Head Spec

Brand New head

Ported & Polished

Ferrea 1mm over valves

Dual Ferrea valve springs,

Ferrea locaters,

Ferrea locks,

Ferrea Ti retainers,

HKS 280 Cams

The plan is to build as much as possible out of the bay, then pull my original motor and box in one go. The next step will be to move my original ancillaries and connect up the loom before putting the new motor into the car.

I will take pictures and post them on here from time to time. A few pics are in my garage, just test fitting parts, so ignore the masking tape and rusted exhaust mani blots

Nothing on the turbo other than it is a an ITS GT74 DBB massaged by Ben of PHR. I think about 1/3 of the price of the turbo was added in extra work. I don't think any tuners publish what they do to customise turbos. All I know is it should spool faster than the stock item. It is the combination of a tweaked turbo and high compression that intrigues me. All the graphs of GT74DBB's are on stock units and stock 2JZGTE compression. The lower half of the graphs will be new territory. I don't know what the final dyno figure will be. However I am certain it will be quick on the tarmac.

About time too Phil :D

It is not for the want of trying, AEM really held up Tom's car, it was supposed to be ready for TOTB last year. Our garage is big but not big enough to accommodate two builds and several project engines.

I will pull my car off the road in the next six weeks and start stripping it down once the new one is built up. I only have evenings until March, so hope to have a time slip for TOTB.