The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tein SuperStreet & EDFC Q

Lewis

All,

Looking at buying the above setup.......

Do I need to buy the topmounts?

What's the talk of pillowball mounts?

Anything else I should consider when replacing my suspension??

I know naff-all about suspension so assume you are talking to a small child and you will not go far wrong.

cheers

I think the only reason you would need the pillowball top mounts is if your are going to adjust the suspension setup.

Adjust it in what way mate? I'm buying it because it is adjustable - not much point if I can't adjust it? Do you mean adjust it on a different angle or something?

Heres the write up on the TEIN Suspension...

TEIN SuperStreet

TEIN has developed advanced technology to design the shell case and stroke to bring out the full potential of your vehicle. These features of the TEIN Super Street Damper kit were designed with greater performance to satisfy all your driving demands. This high performance damper can be used for weekend racing and/or daily driving. The discomfort caused by uneven roads or bumps are eliminated on daily street use. For race use, the ride height adjustable system enables you to adjust ride height and 16 levels of damping force. In other words, you can set your vehicle to meet all situations! High performance and cost effective.

* 16 levels of damping force adjustment (compression and rebound together).

* Ride height adjustable.

* New paint coating for rust prevention.

* Pillow ball mounts are optional (on certain applications).

* Exclusive design for USA vehicle specifications (only available for the U.S.A Market).

* Available for overhaul.

FYI THe Pillow ball Mounts are rigid... For the Road ide have (and do have) the OEM mounts, If you are a thinking of doing track days then the pillowball mounts will be the best... IMO if that means anything..

Plus to feel the benefit, Ide go for the front and rear strut bars as well as or over the EDFC... The reason being people seem to set the dampning force and rarely change it... The Bars are designed for the EDFC too...

cor, I can see nic getting a lot of money this weekend lol

Cheers Jody, many thanks for the info.

Ive just noticed the site gives a discription.. Pillow ball mounts.. Click on it!

haha, cheers, the site comes through again. I have heard there are some quality issues with tein which I wasn't previously aware of, in terms of yours and any you have heard of fitted, have you heard of any/many problems at all?

That's an open question to anyone else as well, I was told that SS was THE suspension to have, I don't want to end up in a wall.

Ive driven many a supra! I was impressed with the kit, Its easy to use/set up.. Looks the dogs.. And once you have set up the car (I would recomend a Full GEO After) It really does make a big difference..

We have sold many sets of these and I have fitted many sets also from the TEIN range and I have never herd any complaints so far...

Ive seen units 1 year old that are so dirty that you can no longer adjust the ride height, but mine are 7months now, I coated the thread with vasolene (Oh er) and clean them with the jet wash and they look brand new...

I use this kit, albeit without the EDFC and Ive never looked back.. for the money you wont buy better...

I have the Tein SS kit on my and what a difference they make, car goes round corners like its on rails now. The ride is a little hard I will admit, but I do have my set on the firmest setting to stop it bottoming out over bumps as I have a very low ground clearance. Not sure what prices you can get from Nic but I got my kit from Abbey Motorsport as a TEIN main dealer, kit without pillowballs was £658.

Think I said on another TEIN thread but I did not buy the pillowball mounts with my kit and TEIN will not sell them to you on their own. I dont really track my car much or want to fiddle with camber angles so I saved around £300 not getting them.

However the harder TEIN set-up will wear out stock top mounts quicker than a stock suspension set-up as I have found out.

I think there needs to be some clarification over the "pillow ball top mounts" the ones that are supplied with the Supra kit are NOT pillow ball "spherical bearing" type, they are an alloy with rubber inserts like the STD version, AFAIK there is no need for adjustable type on the Supra as the geometry setup is not done via the strut mounts.