The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which is better, manual or auto???

bridlea

Guest Nicholas

The 6 speed manual is great but don't think the auto box on a supra is your normal rubbish, it's a great box!

Best to use the search button mate as this question gets asked on a daily basis :)

Nick.

Auto is a lovely box and a lovely drive, I was all manual before I went to the supra and having driven loads of auto cars before as well, the supra one is awesome the gear change is there at the right times (well sometimes as it can change on corners, but thats what the manu is for) unlike other auto boxes that you have to wait for it to make up it's mind to change.

As above do a search it has been discussed to death on here, and even better go out and test drive a few auto and manual.

Best to get a drive in both and make your own mind up. You could do a search, but the threads you will find are going to be pretty much evens as to owners preferences. Manual Supras are slightly dearer than autos for like-for-like cars. Older autos have a manual mode (make sure you have a go with this if you test drive one) and newer autos may have the Tiptronic option if these ones are in your price range (standard auto mode or gearchange by the lever OR the buttons on the steering wheel in manual mode). Like I said, try both before you buy...you may be suprised how good the autobox is.

OMG not another manual vs auto thread, this is a regular occurance lol

would it possible to make a sticky thread, maybe a tech article that lists the acceleration times, the estimated max power ratings etc and all the other things that people ask time and time again.

that would cover all the facts, as for the subjective side of things, that's down to personal preference and there is no right or wrong answer - so go and test drive them :)

OMG not another manual vs auto thread, this is a regular occurance lol

would it possible to make a sticky thread, maybe a tech article that lists the acceleration times, the estimated max power ratings etc and all the other things that people ask time and time again.

that would cover all the facts, as for the subjective side of things, that's down to personal preference and there is no right or wrong answer - so go and test drive them :)

Very good idea.

Can of worms and all that......;)

TBH the majority of auto owners on here would swap for a manual - I think they're fibbing if they said otherwise.:D

But I went for an auto mainly due to cost. An auto Supra is approx £2k less than a manual - and that's a lotta cash you could be spending elsewhere.

My mate was dead anti-auto and begged me to save for a manual. But when he drove my auto he changed his mind, it really is a great box.

At the end of the day - a 400bhp BPU Sup will feel awesome regardless of which box is on the car....

Guess ive asked a common question lol. Just thought id ask people that knew what they were talking about rather than listening to my mates arguing between themselves :-)

What ever you do when you drive an auto do not come back and ask the 2 questions

1) What does the red button do.

2) Whats the manu button for.

Can of worms and all that......;)

TBH the majority of auto owners on here would swap for a manual - I think they're fibbing if they said otherwise.:D

Hmm sort of... there have been a few times when I would have preferred to be changing gears myself, but the amount of times I've been glad of having an auto box is more than the times I wanted manual. And this coming from someone who had driven manual cars for 20 years and was very reluctant to go auto...

to be honest its down to your budget and what type of supra engine you go for ie..so if budget is only 6-8k and if you want manual then best stick to n/a but if you want twin turbos 6 speed imho for 8k it will be a struggle to find a good one so that leaves you to get an auto which is great too

6-8k it will be n/a manual or tt auto

8k plus auto tt or 6 speed manual

Best to get a drive in both and make your own mind up. You could do a search, but the threads you will find are going to be pretty much evens as to owners preferences. Manual Supras are slightly dearer than autos for like-for-like cars. Older autos have a manual mode (make sure you have a go with this if you test drive one) and newer autos may have the Tiptronic option if these ones are in your price range (standard auto mode or gearchange by the lever OR the buttons on the steering wheel in manual mode). Like I said, try both before you buy...you may be suprised how good the autobox is.

:thumbs:

I would'nt want a manual supra, unless i was doing track days, test drive as has been said is the way to go, oh Auto's out drag manuals on a quarter mile!!!

they don't if you get a good launch lol

after all woon in america can do 8.4s 1/4s with a stock manual box, so the gearbox is hardly the limiting factor. Lets face it, if it can handle that it can handle all us guys would throw at it and then some ;) you couldn't say the same about the auto.

anyway I'm keeping out of it, this subject has been done to death many times before...

*cough*

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=10489

bridlea have a read through the FAQ section, you will find threads on most of the generally discussed topics, which will give you a good basic knowledge and help you decide which car to go for.