The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whats regarded as the best plugs?

JamieP

I know, but they are crap.

Quite a sweeping statement.

Unlike the Densos, I have never heard of an NGK plug tip falling off. Nil.

I run the NGK iridiums at standard gap, and I've occasionally hit 1.6 bar on stock turbos. Now that's a tall order. Not a single misfire, and the coils are of a certain age as well.;)

One should try not to generalise because of the risk to appear like a fool afterwards.

Most of the plug 'incompatibilities' and failures are due to people running the wrong heat range or experiencing detonation.

If the car has been setup properly the plugs are not a showstopper - just get the heat range right.

I remember on the GTR forum there was a couple of cases where the Denso's/HKS fell apart and after that there was no end to the scaremongering, with not many people pointing out that the cars in quetion were running a little on the lean side. So can anybody tell me if there has been any cases where they've fallen apart in a Supra? Maybe it's also a case of more people using the HKS/Denso's than the NGK's so more likely to encounter a problem?

Neil

I had heard that IF the Iridium tipped plugs break down then they tend to more damage in the cylinder as the Iridium is very tough. Whereas the lesser tough tipped plugs CAN do less damage.

I have put those two words in bold as I think you can be lucky or unlucky if it does happen.

I think though that it's down to luck at the end of the day. And you are always going to get someone who's had bad experiences with certain products.