The mkiv Supra Owners Club

!!!Winter Tyres!!!

boombastictiger

eagle f1's are summer tyres, and it says that the TYRES are not intended for use in the winter or cold roads etc....Without a doubt eagle f1's are the best tyre in everyother season apart from Winter....

I will be buying 4 eagle F1 GSD's in Febuary but for now want some good winter tyres

The roads are so slippery and my tyre which is a good one (Dunlop sport sp01) is having a hard time....

each company makes winter performance tyres, does anyone use any?

I personally have never bothered with a winter tyre.

me neither, but this winter the car has just been slipping a bit to much, I mean the other day I was going round a small roundabout very low speed in second gear and the car started drifting, im using very little gas aswell, just dont want to end up crashing my car as I use it nearly everyday and want to lessen the chances..

You say your are slipping a lot what tyres are you on at the moment and what is theiur condition ?

What boost are you running ?

0.0BAR :D

If you slipping at the mo then your on really really slippery roads and a 'winter' tyre is going to make very little difference.

My guess is that you may have something not right.

Well I have no boost as Im Na, Im on Dunlop Sport SP01's, they are half way through...I have had these tyres before in winter and they were fine...I wil lbe buying F1's as I know they are the best gripping etc, but I really want a set of winter tyres aswell for a few months just to be on the safe side...its due to get colder these next few months aswell

Well I have no boost as Im Na, Im on Dunlop Sport SP01's, they are half way through...I have had these tyres before in winter and they were fine...I wil lbe buying F1's as I know they are the best gripping etc, but I really want a set of winter tyres aswell for a few months just to be on the safe side...its due to get colder these next few months aswell

Fair enough, i don't have any experience of winter tyres myself, Mytyres.co.uk have a search option for winter tyres that might help to pick out some makes

Are they J spec Dunlop tyres or UK ones? Japanese rubber is VERY different to UK spec and is not suited to conditions here.

What tyre pressures are you running? TP is crucial in this weather. Being smooth with your controls helps vastly as well. If you're finding traction problems in 2nd then use 3rd, keep the revs lower and use the torque. Being on/off the throttle doesn't help either, upsets the balance of the car through the corner.

As for "winter tyres" well they're not really suitable for uk roads, it doesn't get cold enough here for any significant period unless you live high up or far north.

I went on a cultural :D ;) visit to Estonia a few years back where it drops to about -20 deg c during the night and reaches a balmy -6 deg c during the day. All the cars there were running on winter tyres with no traction issues at all, but we just don't get that climate here.

Mark Quote"I will be requiring some front tyres soon , how much are Eagle F1 s approx ???"

Me too, them goodyears GSD3 are looking pretty smart> Got voted No1 tyre in the market by Auto Express! The other alternatives mentioned are:

Toyo Proxes T1-R.

Michelin Pilot Sport.

Probably looking at paying on average for the fronts about £120 each i hope. Let me kno how much you find a set for ;)

Are they J spec Dunlop tyres or UK ones? Japanese rubber is VERY different to UK spec and is not suited to conditions here.

What tyre pressures are you running? TP is crucial in this weather. Being smooth with your controls helps vastly as well. If you're finding traction problems in 2nd then use 3rd, keep the revs lower and use the torque. Being on/off the throttle doesn't help either, upsets the balance of the car through the corner.

As for "winter tyres" well they're not really suitable for uk roads, it doesn't get cold enough here for any significant period unless you live high up or far north.

I went on a cultural :D ;) visit to Estonia a few years back where it drops to about -20 deg c during the night and reaches a balmy -6 deg c during the day. All the cars there were running on winter tyres with no traction issues at all, but we just don't get that climate here.

You know what I think it could be the trye pressure...I had the clutch changed recently and I had the tyres checked becuase I had a slow puncture at the front, maby they put the wrong pressures..Is it better to have the pressure slightly lower or higher than normal...I would have thought lower..

Winter tyres are really for driving on snow. For driving on ice (Norway, Sweden, Finland etc where there is a couple of inches covering in the winter) they are obliged by law to have studded winter tyres.

TBH if you are getting sections of ice I don't think winter tyres would help much as the sipes that grip on snow won't grip on ice. But have a look at this http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=65 maybe there's something available in the uk??

Mark Quote"I will be requiring some front tyres soon , how much are Eagle F1 s approx ???"

Me too, them goodyears GSD3 are looking pretty smart> Got voted No1 tyre in the market by Auto Express! The other alternatives mentioned are:

Toyo Proxes T1-R.

Michelin Pilot Sport.

Probably looking at paying on average for the fronts about £120 each i hope. Let me kno how much you find a set for ;)

I got quoted for some unknown make at Formula 1 type centre in Stoke-on-Trent and there budget fronts were about £60 each , band I think Hancooks/Hancocks or something similar were about £80.

Whats is the correct tyre pressure for 235/40x18 and 265/23x18 please, havnt checked mine since Ive had the car (couple of weks) so they probably havnt been left since they left Japan

Winter tyres are really for driving on snow. For driving on ice (Norway, Sweden, Finland etc where there is a couple of inches covering in the winter) they are obliged by law to have studded winter tyres.

TBH if you are getting sections of ice I don't think winter tyres would help much as the sipes that grip on snow won't grip on ice. But have a look at this http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=65 maybe there's something available in the uk??

I was looking at that site, it looks like I have been looking for the wrong thing....I think a good all season tyre would serve me better, check this out:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS

Some good all round tyres with good ice traction, wet and handling...Must be able to get one of them tyres in the Uk.

Goodyear Eagle F1's. Very popular and for good reason.

Soft compound = plenty of grip = more tyre wear

Less pressure = bigger contact patch (as Class One has said)

Ordered a set (2) 255*40*17's from my tyres for just under 200 notes. Fronts will be cheaper. If youre planning on getting them anyway I'd recommend you get them now, rather than later.

HTH,

Moaeed

It's a cracker site that "mytires", bit confusing as to all the different types/prices of just one tread pattern, i.e goodyear F1s and F1 XL or MO etc... WTF? I just want a 2x tyres for my car :D

Anyone got any views on the Continental Sport Contact 2? It looks like a good tread pattern and not too fancy like the Goodyears(£114 lowest price i might add), I also like the look of the Bridgestone S-02... Any help as to which tyre welcome ;)