The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A Tubo Conversion Help!!!

supra666

Has anyone had experience in fitting a Turbo to a N/A Supra?, I'm considering getting all the bit's and pieces to do this and after trawling the net I have noticed some nice kits on the suprastore in America for some really great prices!

Below is the spec of the one I'm looking at let me know what you think, is it a good deal, or let me know where in the UK I could get this done.

Our Turbonetics single turbo kit is 100% complete. Power will be raised from 220hp of the stock NA Supra to over 350HP with our kit. Expect 120rwhp gain+ at 8psi of boost! If you upgrade a bit more in the future this turbo is rated at 500hp!

Includes: single turbo manifold, Turbonetics turbo (capable of supporting 500HP), front mount intercooler, all intercooler plumbing, upgraded head gasket, intake system, blow off valve, wastegate, hardware and all you need to do te install on your 1993-1997 Supra Non-Turbo or Lexus SC 300. This kit is not available for the VVTi motor.

Kit Includes:

- T04E-60 Turbonetics Turbo

- Thermocoated Cast-Steel Turbo Manifold

- Thermocoated 3" Mandrel-Bent Downpipe

- Turbonetics Evolution 35mm Wastegate

- Spearco W.A.V.E Front-Mount Intercooler

- MF2 ERL 3D Map Injector Controller

- 440cc Lucas Fuel Injectors (2)

- Turbonetics Raptor Bypass Valve (BOV)

- 3 Bar Map Sensor

- K&N Air Filter

- (1) Case TS-1 Synthetic Turbo Oil

- Install Instructions & Wiring Diagrams

- All Necessary Hardware & Fittings

Kit is currently 4 to 8 weeks on backorder. Call now to prepay and reserve a kit today as these kits are in such demand that we cannot keep them in stock!

15132Regular price: $4,850.00Sale price: $4,069.00

£2,078.10 Roughly!!

So there it is good price eh??

PLease help!!!:rolleyes:

supra_1930_88927888.jpg

supra_1926_20492135.jpg

Yes we do a conversion. But 350 is BS unless you are changing the head gasket.

Not too sure about that Martin, my Boostlogic kit with the PT61 made 283 at the wheels at 0.35bar around (5psi) before the head gasket change, and that was with a safc2 which was running rich. I would say 350 crank is possible with a proper tune but not too sure about the spec of that kit, sounds like it is running with two additional injectors.

Yes we do a conversion. But 350 is BS unless you are changing the head gasket.

According to the spec (but it's not listed) it comes with an uprated head gasket. My only concern is how much boost you can apply to a stock NA without killing the transmision.

I have been looking at vortech rotary, and Eaton superchargers and think I may try going down this route, but the concern I have is just how much boost is cost effective before you may as well sell it and get something else. I have read that the N/A works well up to 0.4 bar of boost without any extra fuelling and with a stock compression ratio. So if that's true, you have to consider the extra cost involved once you you go over that. Is this figure of 0.4bar accurate does anyone know?

I have been looking at vortech rotary, and Eaton superchargers and think I may try going down this route, but the concern I have is just how much boost is cost effective before you may as well sell it and get something else. I have read that the N/A works well up to 0.4 bar of boost without any extra fuelling and with a stock compression ratio. So if that's true, you have to consider the extra cost involved once you you go over that. Is this figure of 0.4bar accurate does anyone know?

Would a supercharger be cost effective over a turbo? as if your n/a is not vvti then you would more than likely have to spend extra on changing over to coilpacks and AEM management to get rid of the dizzy, I went down the route of basic kit first (0.35 bar) then you have to consider the extra cost of headgasket or pistons to lower compression, new head bolts, bigger injectors, management + mapping, uprated clutch, boost control and install costs. Make sure to work everything out correctly first as it gets very expensive

Would a supercharger be cost effective over a turbo? as if your n/a is not vvti then you would more than likely have to spend extra on changing over to coilpacks and AEM management to get rid of the dizzy, I went down the route of basic kit first (0.35 bar) then you have to consider the extra cost of headgasket or pistons to lower compression, new head bolts, bigger injectors, management + mapping, uprated clutch, boost control and install costs. Make sure to work everything out correctly first as it gets very expensive

It's just that I have seen an M62 Eaton go for £180 recently, and another for £220 a few weeks ago and it got me thinking. But maybe I missunderstood regarding how much boost you can run on stock gear. I thought that so long as you kept it to under 0.4 bar and changed the MAP sensor you could run this on stock NA fuelling and compression ratio and ignition. I think it was on the NZ MKiv forum I saw this. From what you have just said Bromy it seems not. My idea was to monitor AFR and boost closely up to the point where I had obtained a bit more hp for not so much outlay and leave it there. I guess that danger comes when you get used to "a bit more" and always try and squeeze that bit extra until it melts.

It's just that I have seen an M62 Eaton go for £180 recently, and another for £220 a few weeks ago and it got me thinking. But maybe I missunderstood regarding how much boost you can run on stock gear. I thought that so long as you kept it to under 0.4 bar and changed the MAP sensor you could run this on stock NA fuelling and compression ratio and ignition. I think it was on the NZ MKiv forum I saw this. From what you have just said Bromy it seems not. My idea was to monitor AFR and boost closely up to the point where I had obtained a bit more hp for not so much outlay and leave it there. I guess that danger comes when you get used to "a bit more" and always try and squeeze that bit extra until it melts.

0.4bar max should be fine on stock compression, gearbox and timing but you will probably need slight fueling tweeks, but will you be able to resist the temptation of more power:) if things are done correctly with the right parts then nothing will melt

0.4bar max should be fine on stock compression, gearbox and timing but you will probably need slight fueling tweeks, but will you be able to resist the temptation of more power:) if things are done correctly with the right parts then nothing will melt

Will let you know;)

sounds like everything is included really doesnt it? when it say all hardware and fittings included does that mean your also getting some kind of E-manage pakage? cause seriously would a N/A ecu run such a setup??

also would such a reputable company seel something saying everything is needed for install and running, if the fuel pump wasnt up to it?

SupraStore have a really bad rep. I'd be very wary about ordering anything from them.

As Jake said I would not bother either, in fact I have never heard of that kit. I would go for one of the better known ones such as Boostlogic, PHR, Boostwerx or XSpower in order of preference

Bromy did you installed a FPR with your basic kit?

Funny you say that about the supra store, It took 3 months for my ApexiGT spec exhaust to turn up, think I will stay away from them, you know after reading the rest of this thread, think I will leave my Supe alone, think I will be better off buying a TT!!, I used to have a 6-spd TT and the gearbox went bang, gears blew a hole through the tranny, scary shit I can tell you going down the M5!!!

Funny you say that about the supra store, It took 3 months for my ApexiGT spec exhaust to turn up, think I will stay away from them, you know after reading the rest of this thread, think I will leave my Supe alone, think I will be better off buying a TT!!, I used to have a 6-spd TT and the gearbox went bang, gears blew a hole through the tranny, scary shit I can tell you going down the M5!!!

I don't think talk of meltdown etc should put you off doing what you suggested in your first post, but it's important if you are going down that road to weigh up all the pros and cons first. Also try to find out as much info as poss and do plenty of research before making your final decision.

But I would say if you waited 3 months for an exhaust to arrive I would be carefull about investing almost the cost of the car in more stuff from the same place.

As Jake said I would not bother either, in fact I have never heard of that kit. I would go for one of the better known ones such as Boostlogic, PHR, Boostwerx or XSpower in order of preference

The turbonetics kit has been around for donkeys years and is well proven in the US,but it is pretty much a non upgradeable kit after it is fitted.Boostlogic and PHR kits allows for much more freedom to choose which and what components to fit.It is also inferior to the Boostlogic and PHR kits as the pricetag might reflect.

bought my kit from xs power (club na-t.com)

came with

t57 turbo

xspower intercooler

stainless steel manifold

40mm wastegate

stainless dump tube

xs power blow off valve

3" down pipe

oil supply and return kit

£880 including postage

this sounds cheap but be prepared to splash out a lot more if you want the power gain to be worthwhile

i ended up paying around another £1600 on

2mm head gasket

boost controller

wideband

safc

iridium spark plugs

injectors

arp head studs

fuel pump

ic pipeing

the list go,s on

waiting for injectors to arive then its of to the dyno/tuner

Kit Includes:

- T04E-60 Turbonetics Turbo

- Thermocoated Cast-Steel Turbo Manifold

- Thermocoated 3" Mandrel-Bent Downpipe

- Turbonetics Evolution 35mm Wastegate

- Spearco W.A.V.E Front-Mount Intercooler

- MF2 ERL 3D Map Injector Controller

- 440cc Lucas Fuel Injectors (2)

- Turbonetics Raptor Bypass Valve (BOV)

- 3 Bar Map Sensor

- K&N Air Filter

- (1) Case TS-1 Synthetic Turbo Oil

- Install Instructions & Wiring Diagrams

- All Necessary Hardware & Fittings

This is basically a old Fmax kit, I think Turbonetics bought them out. The manifold use to have some cracking issues (search older Supraforums threads) but they may have that fixed now. I'm not a big fan of additional injectors and that MF2. If you decide to get that kit, see if you can delete the additional injectors and MF2, and then get a complete set of 440's and a fuel controller (SAFC, etc) instead.