The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alcantara help....if thats how u spell it !!

M4RK RZ

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just take your time, and plan out ahead what you are doing with the fabric, where each bit will need to go and cover etc, i retrimmed the headliner in my MR2 in black suade, came out perfect. :)

Ideally yea proffesionals are easiest and ya know you will get what you pay for, but, you do pay for it, and a pretty prenny usually. (Plus wheres the fun in moddifying if you get professionals to do everything :))

Looks great mate :D Seen this done on a civic, and looked pretty awsome when it was all done and installed in the car. If the rest of the parts go as well as that peice yours will be the first supra ive seen done :D Very impressive!!

The cututs and slices for the circular holes and corners that take the longest time with retrimmng stuff :S well i think its that lol

the worst part was the heater circles - there deep sided and you have to warm the material - stretch it downwards too :)

got there in the end - doing more tonight maybe

The material was just over 50 I think, ordered more in as my centre seat pannels wil be trimmed in same colour after new year :)

Hi mate, merry christmas

got it from L4Leather - shawn a great bloke :)

spry adheasive is no good - there is a special type avalible for alcantara(that is expensive - but 3m contact adheasive painted on is the same stuff) nothing else will do the job due to the material being very thin.

Hey,

Last night I covered the main part, went perfect :)

Not one ripple or anything - I found it easy to do realy - just took my time

Here it is - with I may add the originaly designed dash accessories by myself ;) looks fantastic I think!

That looks fantastic....would really like to see this once finished on the car....good luck with the project.

approx price of the materials??

I think Terry used a paint of some sort rather than covering it, might be wrong though?

I've seen it used on the top of dashes before as it reduces glare but this is a different application from that.

I guess that peoples experience of it on seats regarding wear etc would be handy?

Paul

its suprisingly easy to keep clean - basicaly you just brush it down now and again, i is also quite wear resistant - i mean how much do you touch your dash anyhow??

I suppose if it's ok to use on seats and arm rests etc. then the dash will see less wear than those parts.

So the glue you used was contact adhesive? How did you do bits like the three small slots for the 'lights on' buzzer and around the ciggy lighter?

Paul

the three slots - you need a very very sharp knife :) If you use the right contact adheasive (3M) then thats 60% of the battle won already - it grips like nothing else, perfect for securing in tight areas.

The cig lighter bit you just need a steady hand- besides the plastic bezel for the cupped surround fits over and finishes the edge off too.