The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Decisions

Guest wully

I'm thinking about buying a Supra and wondered if anyone could give me some info?

Will they run OK on normal unleaded? Fuel is very expensive where I live and there is only one garage 30 miles away that sells premium..

Can you get a roof rack on a Supra? ( I need to get surfboards to the beach:rolleyes: )

Cheers!

TT doesn't like regular unleaded, especially the imports. Needs Shell V-power or similar really - if you're going to be running higher boost you'll definitely want the highest octane you can get.

There was a roof rack option for the Supra, not sure if they're readily available now though!

mines runs fine on normal petrol?

But i agree the higher the boost is you'll need to run vpower

Really wouldnt reccomend using regular petrol mate. dont you find that it chews up quicker and car doesent run as well as when using higher octane fuel?

Really wouldnt reccomend using regular petrol mate. dont you find that it chews up quicker and car doesent run as well as when using higher octane fuel?

I can concur that I have NEVER used regular unleaded as it is more damaging for your internals over a long period of time and it wont run as good as a higher RON fuel.

As for the roof rack.....:taped:

Thanks for the info peeps, I'll be looking around some cars soon and will check on the fuel availability round my way.

(and have a look on flea-bay for a roof rack- don't worry, I'll take it off when I go to the big bad city...)

It may 'feel' the same, but your knock sensors will be going mental trying to adjust the fuelling/timing cos the jdms are mapped for 100RON IIRC.

It's a piece of mind issue using the correct fuel, not necessarily a performance issue.

Forgive my ignorance but whats likely to happen if I run it on normal fuel for a long time?

Just my 2p's worth... I always use 'normal' in my N/A as the higher octane stuff makes *no difference* whatsoever to performance.

I think the occasional additive (Redex etc.) probably helps to clean the engine a bit if your not using a petrol with additives included - like Optimax or whatever it's called these days.

..and I find 'a friend with a van' is more useful, and aesthetically pleasing to get the boards to the beach - than letting the Soop don a roof rack... :)

Just my 2p's worth... I always use 'normal' in my N/A as the higher octane stuff makes *no difference* whatsoever to performance.

I think the occasional additive (Redex etc.) probably helps to clean the engine a bit if your not using a petrol with additives included - like Optimax or whatever it's called these days.

..and I find 'a friend with a van' is more useful, and aesthetically pleasing to get the boards to the beach - than letting the Soop don a roof rack... :)

I was concerned that I might damage the engine using low octane fuel?

I already have a van- Vee Dub T5 with a 174 bhp engine- fast for a van and getting faster if I decide not to get a car...

I was concerned that I might damage the engine using low octane fuel?

I already have a van- Vee Dub T5 with a 174 bhp engine- fast for a van and getting faster if I decide not to get a car...

As a rule I'd say use normal for an N/A and higer Octane stuff for a TT.

I will probably be corrected, but I don't think you can 'damage' the engine using the supposedly 'wrong' fuel? you'd just lose performance...? was Optimax even available in 1993?

Octane is basically the ability to resist knock. So a low octane fuel will knock more readily that a high octane fuel. Knock obviously comes on under higher temperatures and higher pressures - hence cooler air in winter normally gives better boost - and your 2 knock sensors tell the ECU to adjust your timing and fuelling until the point of knock and then back it off a smidge - therefore getting optimal running. With a lower octane fuel this point will be lower and you'll not get as good performance.

It won't be noticeable at low speeds, and not really that noticeable at high speeds either, but it is there.

Also the map for the jap ECU is for a high RON fuel, so it's 'normal' conditions are high RON, a low RON fuel will work but it will be constantly 'keeping up' with the difference in knock levels.

At least I think that's about right!

Thanks very much for all the info- really appreciated.

My next question will probalby be" Just gone backwards through a hedge- not used to RWD cars with loads of power. Where can I get a good panel beater?" :search:

I thought the higher octane meant that the explosion in the chamber happened at a more predictable interval than lower octane fuel - hence helping the engine run to it's optimum performance...? I'm not the most mechanical of people with this so I could well be completely off the mark.. I didn't know anything about the Knock sensors...

I'm sure there is a good thread about this somewhere with some enlightening Digsy posts....

I know it's has been done to death on here, but surely in 1993 when the car was made there was not so much high octane fuel about at retail pumps even in Japan? engine was designed for 95 says in the jap manuals even.Always runs better on high though, just like Stella gets you pissed quicker than Fosters:)

where in the Highlands are you mate?

i know AlanM has a TT which he runs on Optimax when he fills up in Inverness.

and just for the info, Inverness isn't really that much more expensive to the filling stations further south. it's only if you go to the stations 'out in the stix' that they shoot upwards.

normal Shell 95 RON for example is 87.9 in Inverness. I was down visiting my parents in the Borders and paid 89.9 for it :search:

I'm over on the west coast- the nearest place I know that sells Super Plus ( ?) is just outside Oban- 30 miles from me. I admit I haven't a clue how much petrol costs as I run a diesel just now and that works out at an average of 7 pence a litre more than in Glasgow - it was 101p at one point recently. ( it's 120p on some of the islands... anyone for red?)

I'm over on the west coast- the nearest place I know that sells Super Plus ( ?) is just outside Oban-

Halfway house, robbin bstids :( 96.5 there just now!

My folks are through there and hate filling up when in town when I can get it for 91.5 over here.