The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clutch prices and advice

steb9780

Well the clutch seems to be slipping in 5th and 6th. Maybe slightly in 4th too.

So it looks like once Xmas is out of the way, it'll have to be sorted.

Where is the best place in the North West to take it. I have seen previous posts saying that it's about £150 to have it changed does this sound about right.

Was thinking of getting a flywheel whilst it's out. But this'll depend on how much I have. I quite fancy the idea of a lightened one.

So what are peoples experiences on this.

I"ve got the RPS Street spring6puk, its nicer feel when I change gear than standad, and its slippable too, it took me about a week to get used to, so I was well pleased, I'd go for the lightened flywheel, free's up more rotational mass, and is defo more responsive.

The disadvantage is there can be a noise in the sup's with the lightened flywheel, I replaced the pilot bearing too, mines is almost non existent, but u do get an occasional clattering noise on idle.

People say u could lose torque too...but I dyno'd at 395ft/lb on bpu....so if I lost any I'd like to know what it was running previously!! ;)

Cost.... 1050 incl install so not bad

Just to add, I mean the clutch feels less heavy when pressing the peddle, you will still get the clunk when u change gear as with all 6puk clutches....so its not as smooth as a standard clutch.

It depends what you are into m8, if its a daily driver you could go for an organic plate(similar to standard) which I guess wouldnt be far off the standard feel, if your going for more power later on theres loads of twin plates e.t.c available, but their just not as user friendly:p

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but my clutch seems to be going the same way - only done about 1000 miles in it too :o(

I find the feel of the standard clutch fine as mine is a daily driver, but I do want to go to BPU in the spring (standard at the moment) what suggestions do people have for me? Are these organic clutches able to handle more power?

Do I need to skim the flywheel then?

Any ideas what I should put in there? Standard clutch isn't up to BPU I hear? I won't be going above bpu, well, maybe 450bhp or so, but not more than that...

Having spoken to a few people about this and being in a similar situation, I ordered the RPS Street clutch and the RPS flywheel. The street clutch is more than adequate for BPU. Price wise I got these for about £780 delivered from MVP. With this I also ordered the release bearing, flywheel nuts and a few other bits.

Mark

I don't think I'll go for a single - too much investment for me, BPU with all the trimmings (decent BCC, intercooler, etc) will be enough for me. I guess that seesm 400-450bhp though, so I want a reliable clutch, but as I will be driving it every day in traffic I don't want a racing clutch with 1/4" travel from on to off - I can borrow the missus' RX7 if I want that sort of entertainment!

Want something with a stock feel, but can stand up to a bit more abuse, without breaking the bank.

I may also be interested in the moon on a stick, if anyone has a spare one :)

Has anyone got any other suggestions on the clutch front then? £800 + fitting is a bit more than I was hoping to spend, plus I don't want to loose the standard feel or get a juddery clutch. Just want a standard clutch which can handle more abuse really! Or, if a new standard clutch can handle BPU for 30k miles then perhaps I can go for that instead?

Chris Wilson does a modified stock clutch where he uprates certain elements of the clutch. He will be able to tell more. He likes to fit them himself (so there's no issues of wrong fitment etc.). But he does say he'll sell them for a respected third party to fit. I am sure they are like a stock clutch but can take a fair bit more torque etc. Obviously not massive amounts. They are £475 I think.

I am stuck in two minds whether to go down that route or whether to go to Hyper Sports and get the RPS that they recommend.

I am using the stock clutch with BPU it is more than up to the job if used with some sympathy.

I replaced the lot in one swoop as i see no point in paying the labour to drop the box twice.

The flywheel was £280

The clutch kit was £200

Fitting was £150

Those prices were 2 years ago so it may have changed a lot since then.

Try getting a quote from Nic for the parts.