The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Newbie Questions

Henk

Hi all,

Signed up to forum last night, not bought one yet but on the verge..... read a bunch of the forum and wow your cars are absolutely stunning!

Got some questions (I've read all the guides):

1.) I've always had much newer cars with relatively low mileage (8 - 15K mileage) now looking at a Supra but worried about buying one with >50K on the clock. What sort of mileage have yours done? Reliability not an issue?

2.) Having never had a RWD, just how "lively" is an 1996 RZ-S TT in the wet?

3.) Not having the active spoiler due to veilside, is this an issue?

Apologies if these are a bit stupid but I really know very little about car mechanics.

Help much appreciated.

regards

Henk

1. Don't worry about it. However, things can break and wear out and they aren't cheap to replace.

2. It depends how you drive. Floor it everywhere and you will have problems. Drive sensibly and you'll be fine.

3. I'd say the Veilside bumper is more of an issue.;)

As RedM said really

1) very reliable some folks have clocked up over 100k and stil going strong

2)Supra and wet dont go in the same sentance ;)

3) Some like it some loath it, the general consensus is more often than not veilside is not liked....me included Sorry :( but hey, ive got my car how I like and people may hate that, so each to there own I say :)

Hi mate,

Where in Surrey are you?

My answers:

1. I know the feeling... I have always sold my cars by the time they hit 75000 kilometers on the clock, so scared the hell out of me when buying a supra with 90K miles...

2. Is the car going to be standard?

3. doubtful...

1.) I've always had much newer cars with relatively low mileage (8 - 15K mileage) now looking at a Supra but worried about buying one with >50K on the clock. What sort of mileage have yours done? Reliability not an issue?

I wouldn't worry about this mate as I am the same as you; i.e. anything over 20K and I start thinking its been round the globe a thousand times.

Like any new or old car, the Supra can go wrong but you will find that its build quality is simply superb. Also, and as some of the guys will tell you, the bean counters at Toyota really over engineered a good number of the component parts so the likelihood of things going wrong is very slim (or at least significantly reduced).

That said, things to feck-up from time to time and then you will have to think about the cost of repair and labour etc. As Martin (RedM) has mentioned, it can be a costly business but I personally find that it can be quite cheap so sort a Supra if time is on your side. If you want something NOW then you have to pay high prices but if you have a Supe as a project car like mine, then you can wait sufficiently long enough to get a 2nd-hand bargain - loads of decent parts get sold on this forum and there are a few of the traders that will help source that difficult part that you're seeking. The forum members are simply outstanding and we are here to help each other fulfil our Supra passions so you'll always get support mate.

Hope this helps mucka!;)

OK answering everything at once:

The car I am buying (yes thanks to this forum you've sold me) is a 96 RZ-S TT Standard straight from the Land of the Rising Sun.

Subject to it passing all tests, certficate, RAC etc. etc. (including my mechanic friend's keen eye & toolbox) I will have it in a couple of weeks.

My car history is not that impressive, but of note are:

Honda Prelude 2.2 vti vtec

Peugeot 406 Coupe 3ltr SE

I have riden bikes for 15 years the latest being a Honda Blackbird (but am about to sell it) so I am not averse to speed :)

I live in Guildford in Surrey.

I may very well be the oldest one here (36 years old) but I hope that does not preclude me from joining :)

I've seen the pictures of your cars and I love them too but I am a fan of the aggresive Veilside kit so when I found one I think I knew I was already sold.

Being a bit of a tall chap 6'6" I went to sit in one to make sure I could fit OK and the man from Del Monte he said YES :)

I think that answers everything :)

Welcome to the club and a good decision with getting a supra. although not the best time of year to learn driving and controlling one! anyhow its a great car and mileage really isnt a problem just make sure its serviced on time and the oil is always clean :)

btw 36 is not THAT old there are loads of older people on here.

Despite your history of fast bikes, it will take you a bit of time to get used to a powerful rwd car, especially during the winter. Fear not though, although the Supe has an oft malligned reputation for biting back, it really does depend on how you drive it. Just be smooth with it, get used to the power delivery characteristics (like when tubby 2 comes out to play) and most of all enjoy it.

BTW

Welcome!
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_cool.gif

Ive only had mine TT for a few weeks , my previous most powerfull car was a 3ltr Capri, those were the days, no comparison to the TT supra mine.

Not a good time to experience your new Supra , I havnt been able to plant my foot down since buying it due to damp wet road conditions :( :(

However its the VERY best time to buy and grab a bargain, thats if the owner is willing to let theirs go for what the market will pay , check ebay out , forget looking at whats for sale take a look at COMPLETED items and see how many are unsold due to too higher reserves.You would be surprised at how low the high bids are.

I got mine from a dealer and got it for nearly £2.5 k off his asking price.:) :) :D :d :)

Welcome to the club and a good decision with getting a supra. although not the best time of year to learn driving and controlling one! anyhow its a great car and mileage really isnt a problem just make sure its serviced on time and the oil is always clean :)

btw 36 is not THAT old there are loads of older people on here.

36 just a puppy yet , I can give him 11 years :tongue: :) :)

I may very well be the oldest one here (36 years old) but I hope that does not preclude me from joining :)

Welcome to the club grandad :thumbs:

Actually you wouldn't make the cut for the ten oldest geezers on here. I'm 41 and CJ makes me look like a fresh-faced young whippersnapper. Paul E can't remember how he is anymore but as long as meals-on-wheels keep feeding him he's happy.

Loads of Supra owning bikers on here too. I've got an old style CBR900RRW FireBlade

Anyway, welcome on board you old git! :thumbs: