The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Im BPU but.......

Geo

Right guys, need some help. Iv got a grand to spend on the car, im fully BPU, so wana know what else i can do for performance??

Iv no idea what the car is running(BHP), Iv got a j-spec TT. So what little mods can i do that would increase BHP??

Cheers.

G.

DSCF0062.JPG

There's not a great deal you can do provided you have a properly serviced, properly done BPU car. If I were in your shoes with £1k to spend it'd be in on of these:

1) Intercooler.

What sort of condition is your intercool in? An uprated one is a good point of call (and I mean properly uprated like the Chris Wilson one, not the other one). You may also want to consider an FMIC but beware that this apparently causes heat issues (not seen them myself TBH)

2) Brakes

It appears you have the smaller brakes, £1k would get you a brand new set of the larger brake kit for the Supra. Safety first :D

3) Suspension

If your car is a few years old then it may well be worth checking and replacing some of the easily worn items. If you have stock suspension then perhaps the Toyota optional Bilsteins (£395 from Nic) are a good start. While at it maybe replace the drop links and perhaps some of the suspension arms. £1k will not get all replaced but should transform the way the car drives

If you plan on going single eventually .. you'll need to sort your fuelling out. Personally, I think people that run a single on stock 440's at stock fuel pressure .. are mad. But hey ? Things like AFRs & duty cycles aren't that important :shrug:

I'd be inclined to whack some bigger injectors in there ... 650's for example ... a WB02 sensor and AFR gauge .. coupled with an E-Manage. You can get the EM mapped to back the fuelling off back to normal. Ian's your man for that.

There's not a great deal you can do provided you have a properly serviced, properly done BPU car. If I were in your shoes with £1k to spend it'd be in on of these:

1) Intercooler.

What sort of condition is your intercool in? An uprated one is a good point of call (and I mean properly uprated like the Chris Wilson one, not the other one). You may also want to consider an FMIC but beware that this apparently causes heat issues (not seen them myself TBH)

2) Brakes

It appears you have the smaller brakes, £1k would get you a brand new set of the larger brake kit for the Supra. Safety first :D

3) Suspension

If your car is a few years old then it may well be worth checking and replacing some of the easily worn items. If you have stock suspension then perhaps the Toyota optional Bilsteins (£395 from Nic) are a good start. While at it maybe replace the drop links and perhaps some of the suspension arms. £1k will not get all replaced but should transform the way the car drives

Yea got a HKS FMIC dude, all i had to do when i got the car of Jurgen for Full BPU was to decat the back. Tein suspension is on the way. So brakes is an option.

If you plan on going single eventually .. you'll need to sort your fuelling out. Personally, I think people that run a single on stock 440's at stock fuel pressure .. are mad. But hey ? Things like AFRs & duty cycles aren't that important :shrug:

I'd be inclined to whack some bigger injectors in there ... 650's for example ... a WB02 sensor and AFR gauge .. coupled with an E-Manage. You can get the EM mapped to back the fuelling off back to normal. Ian's your man for that.

So can i put on some Bigger injectors, when im BPU then?

Know where you're coming from here but we're talking £1k budget here :) Those would cost a considerable amount more. (Fueling and control is by far the most expensive part of upgrading)

Oh and a big single is fine on 440's provided you don't use any rpm or boost :D :p

So can i put on some Bigger injectors, when im BPU then?

Sure. As long as you've got a something to control the fuelling. Infact, with your FMIC is going to drawing in more denser air anyway and you're 440's will be at 100% duty cycle.

Have you had your car dyno-ed ? Have you got a dyno graph showing the AFR's ?

Sure. As long as you've got a something to control the fuelling. Infact, with your FMIC is going to drawing in more denser air anyway and you're 440's will be at 100% duty cycle.

Have you had your car dyno-ed ? Have you got a dyno graph showing the AFR's ?

Car aint been dyno-ed yet mate, so iv no idea what its running at 1.2bar. We've got a Dyno meet up here in Feb, so will need to wait till then.

Oh and a big single is fine on 440's provided you don't use any rpm or boost :D :p

:lol: Even a Boostlogic T61 - on Affennel's car running 440's - the fuel pressure had to be wound up to 50psi static!! And that was just to run 0.8 bar boost.

Just makes me laugh - 2yrs ago the accepted technical fact - was you needed to sort the fueling & fuel/timing control when upgrading to a single turbo.

That seems to have been forgotten - somehow.

Car aint been dyno-ed yet mate, so iv no idea what its running at 1.2bar. We've got a Dyno meet up here in Feb, so will need to wait till then.

Forgot to mention this earlier (what with all the talk of a grand floating around!) If you don't have one already your 1st mod should be an AFR gauge. You can at least see if you're begining to have fueling issues. As soon as they start going lean its time to think about modifying your fuel system.

You might find that at high end of the RPM - your AFRs dip lean. Or you might find they're fine.

Homer had the same problem - hence (I think) he fitted an Aero FPR to increase the fuel pressure giving more duty cycle and not going lean.

:lol: Even a Boostlogic T61 - on Affennel's car running 440's - the fuel pressure had to be wound up to 50psi static!! And that was just to run 0.8 bar boost.

Just makes me laugh - 2yrs ago the accepted technical fact - was you needed to sort the fueling & fuel/timing control when upgrading to a single turbo.

That seems to have been forgotten - somehow.

Christian, you might have missed the word "any" in my post :D. It runs fine on closed loop :p

AFR's go a little strange when it tries to boost, mega rich at 4krpm in 2nd until it starts to go lean at 4.8krpm. Obviously 3rd gear is out of the question on anything above a few psi

Christian, you might have missed the word "any" in my post :D. It runs fine on closed loop :p

AFR's go a little strange when it tries to boost, mega rich at 4krpm in 2nd until it starts to go lean at 4.8krpm. Obviously 3rd gear is out of the question on anything above a few psi

For sure Darryl .. but you're also upgrading the fueling with all other right bits. My post wasn't addressed at yourself - more of a general observation ;)

:yeahthat:

Work on the handling and getting the power down.

TRD Diff?

It sounds like you have most of the additonal performance mods covered, ie. FMIC, Fcon, etc. Cams could be an option, but you won't see big gains at BPU levels.

Brakes, suspension and LSD would be the areas I'd look at. Fitting the bigger spec brakes would be the first thing I'd do, better brakes make the car faster ;)

I'd also think about getting all the suspension components checked out for wear and replace as necessary.

A TRD LSD will help you get the power down better and improve cornering traction.