The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hks And Blitz-air Filters? Why Crap?

Guest timalbert

Guest timalbert

HKS and BLITZ are both massive,successful companies right,and their products are no doubt top quality.so why do people say that their air filters are crap? surely they wouldnt sell a product that was useless? just curious.thoughts?

Foam Air Filters are ok if used and oiled correctly...they also can't deal with the amounts of crap road driving throws at them.

They are for racing on a track (where it's clean) rather than use on the road.

Cotton Filters are good at filtration and are the "cool" pod type.

Paperfilters as stock are most restrictive, but have a large surface area to compensate. These filtrate the best and are the best for the road.

Also the construction of the HKS doesn't look like it's built for high mileage. When I removed mine I found the foam peeling back a little bit round the edges meaning that the suction must be centered there. If I had it on any longer I am pretty sure that I would have had non filtered air going stright in.....

A jap magazine did a comparsion of loads of aftermarket foam filters and found that all of them offered the engine lower protection then the stock one. And more importantly it seems that stock ones have a larger surface area and flow better then the aftermarket ones. The only thing that normally restricts stock filters is the airboxes and this is usually due to design constraints or knowledge, the box could be designed to be quieter but sometimes they are designed to be restrictive to give a better powerband. Most after market filters are just 'bling' accessories and purely sold on lies that convince average joe that the stock ones can't cope. If they do give a power increase and I don't mean the old placebo "it sounds much faster" but a geniune RR readout the increase is normally due to two things, either the car was never RR'd before mods (so how would you know it wasn't above manufacturers specs anyway?) or the power band is shortened and more peaky so driveability is normally decreased for the sake of 4bhp. Its a sad thing really that airfilters are generally sold by ripping people off, another majorly important factor is that most foam filters are fully exposed to the heat of the engine bay, where as the stock filters is normally in a nice sealed box sucking on nice cold air, remember cold air is denser and equals +++BHP Hope that helps.

Just thought of another bad point, most aftermarket filters rely on oil for filteration, this can be harmful to AFM's as the oil gets sprayed onto the wires inside and can cause them to burn out.

Not a problem for the majority of people here with MAP based air metering.

HKS and BLITZ are both massive,successful companies right

Yep, they must be doing something right.

Like advertising and hyping.;)

,and their products are no doubt top quality.

Yes, compared to eBay bling garbage that cost next to nothing from China

No, compared to OEM parts - that have to pass several tests to prove that they are fit for purpose.

so why do people say that their air filters are crap? surely they wouldnt sell a product that was useless?

Why not? It wouldn't be the first, or the last time.

They are out there to make money out of the punters, not to save the world, or build up karma points.

Only the Consumers' Association (Which?) is detached from commercial interests directly or indirectly. That's why their tests are the only ones worth reading.

Yep, they must be doing something right.

Like advertising and hyping.;)

Yes, compared to eBay bling garbage that cost next to nothing from China

No, compared to OEM parts - that have to pass several tests to prove that they are fit for purpose.

Why not? It wouldn't be the first, or the last time.

They are out there to make money out of the punters, not to save the world, or build up karma points.

Only the Consumers' Association (Which?) is detached from commercial interests directly or indirectly. That's why their tests are the only ones worth reading.

And all that should give you some idea of why you should just keep you stock air filter :D