The mkiv Supra Owners Club

uk brakes on N/A

Guest CoolsBlue

Are they worth the ££ in putting them on (Apart from the look)...
It's a matter of opinion.

Personally, I always found the j-spec brakes were adequate for road use provided that they had good quality fluid, pads and lines.

However the first time I put a Supra around a track they faded really badly and actually caught fire.

The UK's are a lot better in regard to fade resistance and a bit better on the road.

...and they look great too! :D

Guess I asked for that... lol

How about, is it worth the cost to get UK Brakes (The items, wheels that fit around them, plus fitting, everything needed) worth any extra stopping power vs aftermarket kit that will go straight onto a J-Spec?...

I recently did a track day at brands with J-spec brakes and uprated pads and they were fine.

I think that in a one off stop the jap and Uk's are all but the same in that both will cause the ABS to cut in ie both can perform the max retardation the tyres can hold.

Where they are far better is continuous and hard applications ie the track.

I would say though that my j-spec calipers with CW race pads would last better at the track than stock uk's with stock pads.

My take on a NA with Jap brakes is that i would only consider upgrading to UK's when my calipers (that are prone to seized sliders) or disks (preferably both!) were shot......

Different pads in j-spec brakes can transform the brakes feel and the resistance to fade.

anyone got pics of UK brakes on a N/A? i want to put these on my supra, but hear theyre very pricey, pics?

I supply the brakes for the following prices new.

Front 4 pot calipers, shim kit and fitting kit = £385 including postage to UK (2-3 days).

Rear 2 Pot calipers and fitting kit = £385 including postage to UK (2-3 days).

Front and Rear calipers = £750 including postage (2-3 days).

If you are prepared to wait I could save some money by sending them by surface post, this would take around 4-5 weeks to UK.

Discs are very heavy and expensive to post, so better to buy there. I can also supply pads if needed (TRD, Project MU, Endless, etc.)

I must've had some seriously bad pads / disks / fluid when I had my J-specs, because they were quite simply awful. From 50 or 60mph they would perform a few emergency stops quite happily, but any type of spirited driving at all would see them fade frighteningly fast. The UK setup was a hug improvement, then again I did go for fluid, lines, pads, calipers, disks etc all at the same time.

Doesn't matter if the supe is N/A or TT. If you consistently take the car above 100 leptons then yes the UK brake setup is a must. Brake fade from 100 plus on J-spec brakes is awfull. Now you all could say that nobody on here does that kind of speed governor. Bear in mind that whatever speed you are doing you will need to know that you can come to a complete stop from that speed if required IN A SAFE DISTANCE and at over a ton J-spec brakes don't cut the mustard. Race spec pads on J-spec brakes is all well and good but they need to be warm to function properly which is fine on a track but not on a spririted drive lets say on a motorway where touching the brake pedal is furthest from your mind. For the money its the first mod I would do to any J-spec braked car.