The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Puncture!

Rayman

Drove to work this morning got out and found the drivers side rear almost flat. Anyway its since gone flat altogether and ive got the super skinny space saver on the rear. I look like a right muppet driving a supra with a space saver on it.

I inspected the flat tyre and cant find any sign of nails or cuts in the rubber. Could it be the valve had failed? How much is it going to be to refit a new valve?

Is a valve failing a common occurence? Anyone else had one?

No idea I'm afraid mate, but I know exactly what you mean about the horrid yellow/musky orange space-saver! I had that on about 2 months ago for a week, god that was embarassing! :(

Have you tested it in water using fairy liquid for leaks?

Greg

Lol, it amazes me how it still drives with such small width profile,175 lol

So i pump it back up and test in water do i?

Will do that first and then take it to ats to see what they think.

i had a rear flat the other day, huge nail sticking in it :( I was to embarrassed to put the spacer on, i just jacked up the car and went to the garage with the wheel. it amsued me slightly when i lifted the boot up on my tiddly clio and pulled out this monster wheel, bet they didn't see that coming :)

Quick update, just inflated the tyre again and its not losing pressure although its not on the car.

Is it possible that ive let the tyre pressure get too low and its ended up leaking out the air that was in it round the sides of the rim as the rubber would have been slack due to low tyre pressure?

Is a valve failing a common occurence?
No it's rare, unless the valves are very old. Usually the valves are replaced every time the tyres are so they don't get old enough to fail.

Is it possible that ive let the tyre pressure get too low and its ended up leaking out the air that was in it round the sides of the rim as the rubber would have been slack due to low tyre pressure?
If you've "let the pressure get low" then there's a problem somewhere. If it isn't punctured then it must be leaking around around the rim or from the valve (valve seat or valve itself).

I'd get it checked out at a tyre place.