The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GPS ! Some Guidence Please

M4RK RZ

Hi,

So im buying our lass a non romantic SAT NAV for Christmas and wondered what was best. Looked at most top makes and its all swings and round-a-bouts really

Im not looking to spend the bank account on one - HALFORDS (dare I say it) have a good offer on !!!!!! on the Road Angel Navigation 6000 - she just past her test and this has the sat nav + the camera detector built in !

Any suggestions? anyone got the Road Angel GPS or herd if its any good?

Cheers

:)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that the road angel sat nav is absolutely terrible! It uses the worst nav software you can get and freases all the time. Google it for reviews, doesnt score very highly at all!

On the other hand, the Snooper sat navs are great. But i think nearly all sat navs give you camera databases these days. I have the snooper indago.

I would go for Tom Tom or Garmin.

Garmin C510 and use their free POI loader software to import the speed camera database from http://www.pocketgpsworld.com for £2.00 whenever you want to update.

Theory behind the Road Angel units is great, they look good, they have good features, the reality seems to be that they simply don't work, bad signal lock, poor navigation and erratic speed camera warnings - a shame because the price is pretty good too.

The advertising machine claims another victim ;)

I have used TOMTOM for 4 yrs now (ver 2 onwards), however on a PDA and it is fantastic, especially ver 6 which I have now had for a week. In the past I had used Destinator, NAVMAN & Co-Pilot and TOMTOM was leaps and bounds ahead.

The gagdet show recently did a review of SAT-NAV kits and compared the TomTom (Go version) with some of the others, Garmin and the NAVMAN and also concluded that the TOMTOM was better overall.

Do you not rate TomTom then Michael? I've been using TomTom Nav since v3 in 2003 and I think it's really good. OTOH I've never used anthing else.

I'd be interested to hear your opinions.

My opinions my be slightly tainted due to hardware issues with TomTom on my XDA (freezes up constantly) :)

On a working system it's very good and gets the job done even if it doesn't always know where entire small towns are despite knowing the names of all the roads there. I just find the Garmin really nice to use, it's even more 'Fisher Price' for quick jabs with the podgy stumps and has useful features like "take me to the nearest..." and it will find a supermarket, garage, McDonalds etc for you. With TomTom I used to have stuff like this loaded as POIs but it just wasn't as easy to navigate to them.

In fairness the Garmin and TomTom are fairly similar I suppose, it's a personal preference thing perhaps.