undersized front number plate ????

markjodrell

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The maximum is a fine and 3 points and withdrawal of your reg number and the issue of the dreaded Q plate for the car.

its not a cherished number, and the numbers/letters are not changed to look like something else.

However it is way below normal size, dont car about the £30 fine , but dont want points , especially soft points for a plate.

Have or anyone else actually heard of anyone getting points for a plate irregularity ???

Regardless of the cherished plate thing, you really don't want a Q plate. It'll ruin your car's resale value.

You can get 3 points and a fine for a too small plate or 'just' a fine for no plate. I don't recall on here anyone actually getting points though.

I had no front plate one my Supras for about 2 years without problem - but the first time my Mrs drove the car on her own she got pulled and told off (no action taken though)

I had the same mate, small front plate, didnt have any problems for about 3 years, then they were like buses, one stops you and I kept getting stopped after that, and I was told the same, get caught 3 times and your reg will be removed by DVLA and they will assign you a Q plate. On my second time of being fined £30, I reluctantly removed my small plate and now run a full sized sticker version.

...which is still illegal and could lose you your private plate.

Nope its supposedly not, and thats from a traffic cop, as I asked him about this as I have been told this before. He said he dont see how they can use the rule that it can be tampered with as at the end of the day you could tamper with anyones plate, irrespective of whether the letters are stuck on or printed. He doesnt see how the term being tampered with can be implied on stick on number plates, and also referred to the old Jags and like that all run stick on type plates...............

But maybe it is, but from first glance at least I shouldnt get pulled now as it looks full size.................

...which is still illegal and could lose you your private plate.

They take the piss big time dont they with this 'removing plate' thing is it legal, I mean if you rode about with small normal type plate would they be legally be obliged to take that from you and issue a 'Q' plate, I need to get my plate back from my old fella

Nope its supposedly not, and thats from a traffic cop
The DVLA web site says sticker plates are illegal. I'll believe that source over what some copper told you by the side of the road :shrug:

They take the piss big time dont they with this 'removing plate' thing is it legal, I mean if you rode about with small normal type plate would they be legally be obliged to take that from you and issue a 'Q' plate
Well they aren't obliged to take it. I guess somebody somewhere makes a decision whether too or not (some worker drone at the DVLA?) - I don't think there's a hard and fast rule about it.

Just been looking on the net and found this below that I have cut and pasted.Looks like you wouldnt get any point either way.#

Apparently the stick on ones are illegal too due to the angle or something.

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/plates.htm

Number Plate Law

The law states that,

You must not alter, rearrange or misrepresent the letters or numbers

Characters must not be moved from one group to the other (e.g. A242 ABC must not be displayed as A242A BC).

Offences may result in any or all of the following:

A fine of up to £1,000

The registration mark may be WITHDRAWN

The vehicle may FAIL the MOT test

The DVLA web site says sticker plates are illegal. I'll believe that source over what some copper told you by the side of the road :shrug:

Well they aren't obliged to take it. I guess somebody somewhere makes a decision whether too or not (some worker drone at the DVLA?) - I don't think there's a hard and fast rule about it.

Your right Jake , Ive been looking too and stick ons are illegal, bullshit but true:eyebrows:

Just been looking on the net and found this below that I have cut and pasted.Looks like you wouldnt get any point either way.#

I think you'll get a rectification notice from the cops and if don't change the plate to a legal one you'd get the points for that.

I had the same mate, small front plate, didnt have any problems for about 3 years, then they were like buses, one stops you and I kept getting stopped after that, and I was told the same, get caught 3 times and your reg will be removed by DVLA and they will assign you a Q plate. On my second time of being fined £30, I reluctantly removed my small plate and now run a full sized sticker version.

I think the plate your plate is even smaller than mine , just.

I think you'll get a rectification notice from the cops and if don't change the plate to a legal one you'd get the points for that.

yeah, that sound about right too from what Ive read,

know where I can get a number plate holder from, I want the square type which can be slightly modified to take a normal long plate.

Anyway, what are you guys doin up at this time in the morning????

Are you working nights like me, did I say working ;) ;) ;) :) :)

I got prosecuted for a small number plate on a bike many years ago - and it wasn't one of the tiny ones. Was still square, but cut down so it was the width of the rear mudguard and the letters were obviously a bit smaller.

I got £100 fine (via the court) - but this included having a purple cover over the headlights.

It's the one time (in many) that I've been pulled that I thought the police officer was an idiot. I apparently had a small number plate so that I could outrun the police without them getting my number (even though I was doing 5mph in a queue of traffic and stopped immediately that they pulled me over). And my headlights "could be mistaken for blue police lights". To this day, I still remember the effort it took me not to reply "only if you think the sky is f*****g green".

But anyway - I didn't get points, or any mention of it. But then again - I also got done for 115mph on my bike and only got 3 points and a £250 fine, whereas everybody will tell you 100mph plus is an instant ban. So maybe I'm just lucky.

I got prosecuted for a small number plate on a bike many years ago - and it wasn't one of the tiny ones. Was still square, but cut down so it was the width of the rear mudguard and the letters were obviously a bit smaller.

I got £100 fine (via the court) - but this included having a purple cover over the headlights.

It's the one time (in many) that I've been pulled that I thought the police officer was an idiot. I apparently had a small number plate so that I could outrun the police without them getting my number (even though I was doing 5mph in a queue of traffic and stopped immediately that they pulled me over). And my headlights "could be mistaken for blue police lights". To this day, I still remember the effort it took me not to reply "only if you think the sky is f*****g green".

But anyway - I didn't get points, or any mention of it. But then again - I also got done for 115mph on my bike and only got 3 points and a £250 fine, whereas everybody will tell you 100mph plus is an instant ban. So maybe I'm just lucky.

115 mph and no ban, yes m8 you were lucky :) :p :)