The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BOV and boost guage location???

markjodrell

I made a post last week regarding a pipe I found which was disconnected and sucking air,it was T cutted in to what I now believe to be the turbo pressure sensor.So I put a bolt in the added pipe to block it off , (only the added pipe, not the turbo pressure pipe.

I thought this is where a boost guage could be fitted, but I was looking at another guys Supra and he has a BOV fitted here , see photo. Is this the correct place to T in a BOV and if so does or can the standard bov remain in place ??

Is the correct place to T in for a boost guage too ?

Tpiece%20hose[2].jpg

I changed my standard re-circ valve for a HKS SSQV. I took the old one out and put the BOV in its place. came with all the extra pipework I needed and with dodgy jap instructions with pictures that had been photocopied that many times it looked like a smudge but its pretty easy. I then 'T'd my boost gauge into the vacume tube off the BOV and it wors fine. Reads 12.5psi on stock tt which is about 0.82 bar I believe which should be accurate and it is also very responsive.

I took the clock out the dash and put a 52mm boost gauge in there looks nice and tidy

Dont T anything off the pipe shown in your pic use the one just to the left for your boost gauge below...hang on two tics and I will try and dig out a pic....if it pops off on boost your in all sorts of problems, much safer to use this one or your BOV actuator pipe

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7162/boostgaugepickuppointvb6.jpg

your BOV should replace the stock unit unless you want to weld to an intercooler pipe...that is if you have a FMIC

Dont T anything off the pipe shown in your pic

Why not? I think you're confusing the hose pictured in the first post with the one supplying the pressure for the FPR which is on the opposite side of the intake, next to the pipe you've circled on your pic. Either hose circled in post one, or the one circled in your pic is fine to T into for a boost gauge/bov.

Yeah, I'm being an idiot ignore me. :) Isn't that hose linked directly to the FPR though? If it pops off is there not massive potential for the car to run lean and blow up?

It's the Turbo Pressure sensor (MAP). If that hose popped off there would be a potential risk of running lean if you continued to drive it hard... but you'd know about it pretty sharpish if it did pop off.

There's no more danger of it popping off just plumbing a boost gauge in there than not though.

The one in the first pic and the pic in post 4 are fine. Having read the thread I posted the link to (this one) I personally woudn't use the one coming off the MAP sensor/FPR.

I'd never seen that thread and it makes more sense to put it there (mine was done a very long time ago I should probably move it then).

Incidentally I was also presuming that the yellow circled bit went back into the other side of the "Y" piece going by the comment in the first pic in this thread http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=35924 But that's incorrect as it's the hose just down and to the right of that one that goes to the Y section.

I made a post last week regarding a pipe I found which was disconnected and sucking air,it was T cutted in to what I now believe to be the turbo pressure sensor.So I put a bolt in the added pipe to block it off , (only the added pipe, not the turbo pressure pipe.

I thought this is where a boost guage could be fitted, but I was looking at another guys Supra and he has a BOV fitted here , see photo. Is this the correct place to T in a BOV and if so does or can the standard bov remain in place ??

Is the correct place to T in for a boost guage too ?

SOOOOOOO

in conclusion, RE the first photo I posted at the beginning of this thread,,,,,, Is that okay to T in a BOV or a pressure guage??

AND if an extra BOV is put in place can the original be left in place ??????

This is the turbo pressure sensor pipe