The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Seriousness of damage to rear of my car?

cookci

Somebody has done this to my car! I watched him do it and he is willing to pay to have it repaired!

:( :( :(

obvisously im getting a quote for the repair i was just wondering what your approximations would be and how they would repair it? Also any implications there might be

All the paint is cracked and the arch catches on the wheel!

please advise...

I wonder with these things, what happens if it takes a couple of weeks to go and get it looked at and a quote and everything, then you go back and say, "Okay, mate - it'll be £1k", or something.

What happens if they then say, "Ouch - can't afford that - it'll have to go through insurance.", or maybe, "Sorry - don't know what you're talking about."?

Can you still then put in an insurance claim, two weeks (or however long) after the incident occurred?

Ouch, circa £700-1000 if it involves a paint job too.

Yes, about this much from a 'more expensive' bodyshop.

Good point Snooze. It may be worth reporting to your insurer with the details but tell them you are settling it privately. I have done this before. Make sure you have evidence - photos or a statement. If he is happy to pay for damages then there is no reason why he shouldn't sign a statement. If he does not sign anything then go through the insurance.

Ro

Good point Snooze. It may be worth reporting to your insurer with the details but tell them you are settling it privately. I have done this before.

Aren't there issues with this potentially affecting premiums, though? I thought some insurance companies took any reported accident (regardless of whether a claim was made or not or the outcome) into account when calculating premiums?

Aren't there issues with this potentially affecting premiums, though? I thought some insurance companies took any reported accident (regardless of whether a claim was made or not or the outcome) into account when calculating premiums?

Yes, as soon as you report it, no matter of whether you're claiming or whos fault it is, it will affect your premium. I reported a non-fault, non-claim accident and it affected my premium for 3 years :( Bastards..

Right I found them, As you can see the damage on mine was much worse than the damage on yours. and they did an excellent job repairing it.

Did they take the rear quarter window out when they resprayed?

Mine looked like yours (I considered that to be less damaged than the original poster) and seems to have cost more to fix, did they just fill yours up with filler?

Did they take the rear quarter window out when they resprayed?

Mine looked like yours (I considered that to be less damaged than the original poster) and seems to have cost more to fix, did they just fill yours up with filler?

No they left the rear quarter in, but you'd never tell. I kept going back to see the progress as they were doing it aswell.

They pulled the dent out suprisingly well actually, I didn't think they'd be able to do it as well as they did. they then just lightly skimmed over the panel with filler and smoothed it off.

They took the rear bumper and the passenger door off, painted and laquered them to blend with the panel and obviousley sprayed the panel itself.

I was very suprised with the final figure as I was expecting alot more!

Mine was about as bad of yours (on the same side as well) i got mine done by a local bodyshop and only cost £250 and its a top notch job nothing wrong with it at all - looks new. that was the removal of the dent and a rear qtr respray as well :)

Whats going on with your wheel in that pic?

Here is the damage to mine from the guy over the road:

I had a new rear quarter fitted.

If i were you i would get a quote to have the bumper sprayed as well as the paint wont match with the new quarter.

if need be, they'll blend the paint on to the bumper. Plastic bumpers are different shades to metal painted panels anyways so i don't think it'll matter. And with his being a dark coloured supra you'll probably never notice.

lots of supras have been hit in the rear quarter then! i wonder if its because the other drivers are jelous :D

Luckily its turns out my car is going to be ok! the father of the lad that hit my car has taken full responsibility fixing my car. He owns cheshire vehicle rental company and has taken my car, put it in a nice garage for the time being and given me a courtesyc car! hopefully ill get it back next week! :)

All on the same side, thats pretty weird lol. Excellent example of Jim's repair job to his car! Couldnt tell at all.

cookci hopefully the car will be back on the road in no time and u can get rid of the all too common corsa loan car.. :S lol Impressed that you got that kind of service from the guy though. Most of us would have had to make do with no car for the week :S then a corsa is a better option :D

he is insured through his dads company insurance...

it costs the company 4000 per year to insure the whole fleet and they have lots of vehicles!

The reason they pay so little is the excess which is £5000 apparently! the owner says he never intends to claim

There is no time limit on when you can register a claim. If you called your insurer a month or so after and just told them you were settling privately but now you cant for whatever reason, there wont a problem.

You will find with alot of fleet companies that their insurance policies have large deductables (excesses), basically they are slef insured for small claims...like if you had an accident with a bus, it would be the bus co. paying out, because they have a £250,000 deductable :)

If i was you i would try to get him to settle privately, ie. get an estimate then get them to give you the money BEFORE you have the work done. If they wont cough up then get their insurance details and go through them. You shouldnt have to go through your own insurer if the other party admits fault to their insurer.