The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Undertray

Bill Prawn

The second one Graham. The large black undertray I think he means that does sit under the engine and associated parts ;)

Yes, a good idea to have one anyway. That undertray must of saved quite a bit of damage when I hit the verge. Just bent in half, all other parts were OK.

Hhmmm Colin, not sure if that's such a good thing though. But then, that's only the front, not the large black undertray right?

Salty and gritted roads are a potential hazard as people keep saying, plus all the other grime. I'd try and source one just in case. Like I said, it definitely helps in protecting the vital parts against an impact, or it did for me.

Greg

Hhmmm Colin, not sure if that's such a good thing though. But then, that's only the front, not the large black undertray right?

Salty and gritted roads are a potential hazard as people keep saying, plus all the other grime. I'd try and source one just in case. Like I said, it definitely helps in protecting the vital parts against an impact, or it did for me.

Greg

Yes Greg, just the front tray, i believe it is there for downforce and airlfow anyway !

I always thought the tray "helped" with air flow through the engine bay - might be a load of old horse crap though :D

Mine managed to start to sag a while back and only onticed it after doing some naughty leptons down the A329 into work and subsequently going over a speed bump (schhhhrape - wtf is that?) - look under the front and it is like the air scoop from a feckin F16. I dubbed it the poor mans active front spoiler ;) - pops down at speed!

I fixed it up by tucking it back and strategically placing cable ties through various spots - seems ot be holding for now and only a small hole in it from the speed bump.

Also I was quotes something like £86 from Mr T for a new one.

No undertray will increase drag (lower top speed, possibly measurable drop in fuel economy), and it will lower the efficiency of the radiator and air conditiioning cooling. It's there for a good reason. Look underneath a Saab someday, and you will see it's virtually totally sealed and flat, they even have little vanes to direct underside airflow around the rear wheels and tyres. That's why they have such excellent coefficient of drag figures.