The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Failed MOT on ABS light PLEASE HELP!!!

Guest stefconch

Guest stefconch

My Supra failed its MOT the other day because the ABS light wouldnt come on.... i can see there is a light in the dash but it just wont turn on.... they say i should take it to a toyota dealer and they will be able to sort it.... but thats gonna cost me £90 an hour!!!

Any ideas how i can get it too work or pass?

My Supra failed its MOT the other day because the ABS light wouldnt come on.... i can see there is a light in the dash but it just wont turn on.... they say i should take it to a toyota dealer and they will be able to sort it.... but thats gonna cost me £90 an hour!!!

Take it to another MoT station!

In all my years of getting cars tested I've NEVER known the tester check the operation of the ABS light. I'm pretty sure that its not even part of the test.

It would be if it came on when the brakes were being tested, but to stay off, that's pretty normal ;)

As long as it doesn't come on when he's testing the brakes, I can't see any other tester else even worrying about it.

Do you mean it doesn't come on when you turn on the ignition ie. the test to show the warning lights are all working? Do the other warning lights come on?

If this is the case then as said it is probably due to either a disconnected wire, blown bulb or cracked solder on the the back of dash console.

The ABS warning light on the Supra is only illuminates if there is a problem with the system, it does not illuminate when the ABS kicks in when braking.

Mine failed it's MOT in August for the same - they actually checked to see whether the car had ABS fitted.

Apparently it's quite common for the bank of warning lights on the right to become disconnected (as mine had) and sometimes for the PCB behind to break.

The boys up at Phoenix fixed mine - no problems - for pennies IIRC.